Back in the hobby after long haitus, SCA aquarium?

freebyrd

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Virginia
Hello, I'm looking to get back into the hobby after almost 8 years.

I want a 2x2x5 foot aquarium and I think I'm going to stock eartheaters. Not sure on specifics but I've always liked Sveni. They may be too big so I may just go with the ever popular tapajos. I want a beautiful display tank with a sump, and overflows.

Can you guys recommend a tank setup? I'm considering one from here:

Is there any other brands to consider?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Hello, I'm looking to get back into the hobby after almost 8 years.

I want a 2x2x5 foot aquarium and I think I'm going to stock eartheaters. Not sure on specifics but I've always liked Sveni. They may be too big so I may just go with the ever popular tapajos. I want a beautiful display tank with a sump, and overflows.

Can you guys recommend a tank setup? I'm considering one from here:

Is there any other brands to consider?
Welcome back!!!

platy21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2020
I have that same tank setup as a reef. Overall it’s a nice tank. I actually like the euro bracing. The overflow is tight to work in and the weir casing has come apart slightly but it doesn’t impact operations at all. The stand is really sturdy but the doors on mine aren’t great. I didn’t get their sump so no experience there. I went with a Trigger 44. The extra height on the stand makes it really nice to work down there. If I would do it all over I’d get an external overflow- more room to work with inside the tank. It’s a great size though, love the 5x2x2. If I had the space I’d get another tank in that size.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

IMG_6574.jpeg

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I have that same tank setup as a reef. Overall it’s a nice tank. I actually like the euro bracing. The overflow is tight to work in and the weir casing has come apart slightly but it doesn’t impact operations at all. The stand is really sturdy but the doors on mine aren’t great. I didn’t get their sump so no experience there. I went with a Trigger 44. The extra height on the stand makes it really nice to work down there. If I would do it all over I’d get an external overflow- more room to work with inside the tank. It’s a great size though, love the 5x2x2. If I had the space I’d get another tank in that size.

If you have any specific questions let me know.

View attachment 1526736
That's a beautiful reef setup 😍

platy21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2020
That's a beautiful reef setup 😍
Thank you! Been up for two years next month, but was a tank update from a three year old 45 gallon.

The dimensions of the SCA are great. Of course 6’ would be awesome, but 5’ still gives you room to work. Combined with the 24” depth you can really create some nice aquascapes.

Reactions: tlindsey

freebyrd

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Virginia
I went with a Trigger 44. The extra height on the stand makes it really nice to work down there. If I would do it all over I’d get an external overflow-
Do you have an example? I've used the eshopps and it was so loud...i wouldn't want to do that again. I had a 265g that wasn't drilled so I used the eshopps HOB overflow. I want the best setup, so I'm glad you responded!

Why did you go with the trigger 44? I'm going to need to choose a sump setup for my freshwater system that's optimal for that and easy to clean.

Reactions: tlindsey

platy21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2020
Do you have an example? I've used the eshopps and it was so loud...i wouldn't want to do that again. I had a 265g that wasn't drilled so I used the eshopps HOB overflow. I want the best setup, so I'm glad you responded!

Why did you go with the trigger 44? I'm going to need to choose a sump setup for my freshwater system that's optimal for that and easy to clean.
The trigger is dead silent. The only time I get noise is from the overflow when I need to clean my return pump and the flow rate decreases. The Trigger is about 44 gallons so a lot of filter capacity but still leaves you room for storage in the stand. Also got cheap LED strip lights with a sensor that turn on when I open the door, makes it so much nicer to work in there.

I will say if I could do it again I’d strongly consider a roller mat. Changing socks once a week really isn’t that bad, but a roller mat would remove that task and be pretty nice.
IMG_6683.jpegIMG_6685.jpegIMG_6686.jpeg

IMG_6684.jpeg

freebyrd

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Virginia
The trigger is dead silent. The only time I get noise is from the overflow when I need to clean my return pump and the flow rate decreases. The Trigger is about 44 gallons so a lot of filter capacity but still leaves you room for storage in the stand. Also got cheap LED strip lights with a sensor that turn on when I open the door, makes it so much nicer to work in there.

I will say if I could do it again I’d strongly consider a roller mat. Changing socks once a week really isn’t that bad, but a roller mat would remove that task and be pretty nice.
Very cool thanks for sharing. I am not very familiar with all of the equipment in your setup, but i like how it looks very neat and organized. I need to research what the best setup for freshwater would be. I have never seen a roller mat! Those are pretty cool.

platy21

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Aug 25, 2020
Very cool thanks for sharing. I am not very familiar with all of the equipment in your setup, but i like how it looks very neat and organized. I need to research what the best setup for freshwater would be. I have never seen a roller mat! Those are pretty cool.
Thank you! Wouldn't need to worry about a skimmer for freshwater, not sure about the Zeovit reactor? It might work to reduce nutrients but could probably get away with something simpler, like running bagged media in a high flow area. I use the middle refugium section to grow some easy coral, could use that for some quick growing plants as nutrient reduction. The Trigger sumps with the built in roller mats are expensive, but you can DIY a sump and build one in if you want to go that route. I don't mind changing the filter socks once a week, but it can be a pain to store and wash them; just takes time really. They keep the water crystal clear though and help remove waste if changed often enough.

freebyrd

Piranha
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2010
Virginia
Good info, thanks. Does anyone else have a recommendation for an aquarium setup? I would like to see some freshwater tanks set up with overflows and a sump! What's the perfect setup look like? I'm planning a geophagus community setup.... probably Sveni if I can find them and red heads if I can't.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store