Back Into Fishkeeping - Saltwater

Gourami Swami

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jul 13, 2006
NJ
I am seeing the super glue method around a lot, how would one do this? Do I pull the rocks out and glue them shut and then put it back? Or do you glue it right in the tank? Is superglue non toxic to the water?

Thanks for the help!
Pulling rock would be easiest while you don't have corals growing on it yet. Hard to super glue under water. Use "super glue gel" make sure it's just cyanoacrylate super glue. And that will be safe. I use "gorilla glue" brand super glue gel. Make sure it says "super glue gel" not regular gorilla glue or any other kind of glue.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Pull the rock out and glue them.
Pulling rock would be easiest while you don't have corals growing on it yet. Hard to super glue under water. Use "super glue gel" make sure it's just cyanoacrylate super glue. And that will be safe. I use "gorilla glue" brand super glue gel. Make sure it says "super glue gel" not regular gorilla glue or any other kind of glue.
Appreciate the help! I will attempt this this weekend!

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Man a good friend of mine is trying to convince to go salt cause he knows I just got the Neptune apex on my current 2 tanks. Just went to reefopalooza in Orlando too. They do have some nice corals. Best of luck with it.
Now why would you need a Apex controller for FW I’m curious. Trying to find new ways to blow money and apex is right on the money. Just not sure how I can use or incorporate in my planted tank.

piranhaman00

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 15, 2009
Wisconsin
Welcome to the salty side. It's a lot of fun
On the sand, looks like you've got the "Bahama oolite" or similar. It does get blown around like crazy. I still use it because I love how it looks, but you need to play around with the flow to make sure it doesn't end up all in a big pile. Any larger grain sand will not give you this problem- I recommend aragonite.
For the cycle, personally I would just let the live rock do it's thing, shouldn't take very long. You could add a little bit of ammonia if you want but the die-off from the live rock will fuel the cycle itself, so don't need to.
Your hitchikers are dwarf blue leg hermits, and some snails. The worm looking guys are vermetid snails, a bit of a PITA but not the end of the world, I have them as well.
That last pic looks vermetid to me. If you want corals its not a good way to start. I know it sucks but Google them you'll see exactly what you're up against.

View attachment 1377802
Well they are definitely vermetid snails! They have put out their "nets". Pretty interesting really haha. I will try to eradicate at some point.

I am setting up a 90 this weekend and plan on using all dead rock.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store