Back into the Hobby - New Tank

Red Devil

Nice to meet you and welcome to MFK
Staff member
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2006
United states of America
Got a new tank Friday night. Spent yesterday and this morning painting the back. Finally got the decor and water in it this afternoon. Of course then I found out the filter that came with it wasn't working; which is why the water is cloudy. Have two AC 70s coming tomorrow. It's a 46 bowfront I scored for $100. Figured this would be my toe in the water and I'd like to get a 125 later this year.

View attachment 1223465
wow looks awesome..good job! Nice find!

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Got a new tank Friday night. Spent yesterday and this morning painting the back. Finally got the decor and water in it this afternoon. Of course then I found out the filter that came with it wasn't working; which is why the water is cloudy. Have two AC 70s coming tomorrow. It's a 46 bowfront I scored for $100. Figured this would be my toe in the water and I'd like to get a 125 later this year.

View attachment 1223465
did u get a replacement filter from PetSmart?

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I got two AC 70s on Amazon.
but Petsmart still owes you a free filter if they sold you one that was broken. Take it back w/ the receipt and they'll replace it. If I had kids I would make damn sure no greedy corporate shop was ripping me off. Money is too much of a big deal when you have kids

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
It was a filter that came with a used tank...
oh. I thought you said you got it from PetSmart.

Did you take it apart, clean the impeller w/ a toothbrush, scrub every square inch of the inside and then "power" rinse it w/ some type of high-pressure and lubricate the O-rings or any other rubber parts w/ vegetable oil?

Slim2634

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 8, 2006
Central Ohio
It was a penguin and the motor cover was ripped off and pieces were missing. Not my thing so I didn't mind replacing it.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store