Bacterial infections

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
I’ve had them occur twice and both times I’ve had a loss of a fish. What causes them to occur? I know now methylene blue, kanaplex and water changes help.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Certain bacteria are opportunist & infect weakened, vulnerable fish.
To avoid bacterial infections, provide a healthy environment for your fish.
Learn to recognize symptoms of disease and select only the most vibrant, robust, healthy looking fish.
Most aquarium specific antibiotics don't cure. Just follow the forums for antibiotic failure threads.
Many areas of the world are banning aquarium specific antibiotics.
Prevention is the best remedy.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
One thing I have found... is water temps at or above 82'F , are often stressful and can lead to more virulent bacterial infections. (especially diseases like columnaris)
Many Bacteria become more virulent and spread faster at higher temps than lower ones (when as a microbiologist I grew pathogenic bacteria in the lab, using incubators in the 90sF),
so unless the fish have evolved to live in higher temp waters (like N haitiensus, or genus Alcolapia) tank temps in the mid to high 70s are adequate.
Consider.....the temps that most cichlids inhabit in the rift lakes of Africa are mid 70s.
Some Mexican and "southern" South American fish experience seasonal cool downs into the 60s.
And......
when treating (because it is often recommended to raise temp for ick) aquarists often raise temps for every disease, including bacterial infections.
and because bacteria love high temps (to a point), is actually counter productive

Last edited:

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
It occurred overnight in less than 6-7hrs.
Parameters:

nitrite 0.05
nitrate 10
Ammonia 0.3-0.4
Ph 6

I understand my ammonia is higher than usual,how could it lead to bacterial infection? The fish had loss of slimecoat, cloudy eye and red gills. I had done a water change just 2 days before the bacterial infections occured in my tank. I’m unsure of the temperature in my tank, as my country only experiences one season, summer and I d didn’t think would be necessary.

Stephen St.Clair

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 2, 2017
Judging by the noted parameters, your tank isn't completely cycled.
The presence of ammonia & nitrite alone could have contributed to the
speedy death of your fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
Agree with Stephen and....
In many tropical countries, like where I live in Panama there are a couple seasons, not as obvious as in northern countries but significant no less.
There is the rainy season where water temps drop (especially in places where rivers that flow down from the mountains, like the Andes in S America, the Sierra in Mexico, Himalayas in Asia, etc) lower average temps, and the dry season, where water temp rise.
And as Stephen said
ammonia and nitrite are very stressful at even tiny amounts, and cause a fishes immune system to be compromised, allowing even normally non-lethal bacteria to take advantage, and become infectious.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
Sorry I meant nitrite as 0.005.

my ammonia is usually 0. Not sure why my ammonia was 0.4.

Caveden

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jul 21, 2020
so 0.4 ammonia which is higher than my usual caused the bacterial infection to occur?

as shown the gills are red, and there whitish stuff on it. It also coughed out the whitish stuff as well.

image.jpg

kendragon

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 23, 2009
I would look into better filtration. Many times the fish out grows the filter. The bare bottom tank is not helping.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store