Bad News :(

dudey

Candiru
MFK Member
Jun 29, 2008
us
mistawac;2380552; said:
Tank has been running for about a month no problems and the piranhas have been in the tank that whole time. I don't know what you mean by parameters, if you mean pH level I have no idea because I don't have one of those testing kits (maybe I should get one). The tank was running at about 80 degrees. They've been eating bloodworm cubes and nightcrawlers and even ate just before I left. This wasn't the first change and I added the dechlorinizer, I think dudey might be right. By the way, wtf is conditioner?

I used a washcloth to scrub the walls...

By conditioner I meant primer like declor.

Also I use those green brilo scrubbers for dishes. They work great. Just make sure its a new one that is dedicated to tanks. Also make sure its not pre treated with chemicals when you buy it.

mistawac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Akron, Ohio
Yeah, what sucks is I bought one of those magnets at the pet store while I was there. What kinda pisses me off is the people at the pet store told me not to worry about the foam, they said it was 'excess proteins' and that I shouldn't worry.

Malawi-

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2008
Oregon
I wouldnt ask any LFS questions regarding piranhas unless they are known to specialize in piranhas.. We are here for you. ;) Well, what size were they?

You should just start over, and learn from your mistakes.. Maybe do 20-30% water change weekly and use the new scrapper and use more care.. Before you add new fish, make sure whatever chemical in the water is out..

mistawac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Akron, Ohio
The biggest one I had was a little large than a quarter.

I'm going to get a pH kit tomorrow and new piranha's probably this coming weekend. Should I keep feeding them bloodworms and nightcrawlers are should I pellet feed?

Malawi-

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 20, 2008
Oregon
Dont just get a pH kit, get a full FW test kit. You should test the ammonia, nitrites and nitrates.. Before you get new fish be sure the water is fixed and not harfmul so you do not have to go through this again.. As for feeding, when they are that young, bloodworms, flakes, pellets, anything is good. If they will take pellets and flakes, feed them, because as they grow up they wont take those foods..

mjohns

Candiru
MFK Member
May 24, 2008
down under
mistawac;2380625; said:
The biggest one I had was a little large than a quarter.

I'm going to get a pH kit tomorrow and new piranha's probably this coming weekend. Should I keep feeding them bloodworms and nightcrawlers are should I pellet feed?
Getting a PH test isnt really gonna help ya, its worth paying for a full freshwater test kit, worth it in the long run mate.

you want to be able to test ammonia,nitrite,nitrate and PH as a minimum.

Goodluck.

bumpylemon

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 14, 2008
Massachusetts
ya i would agree pH is the least of your worries. but even the ammonia wouldnt have killed all your fish at once...its def the rag. must of been. you should buy a cleaning brush from the petstore. im sorry for your loss. today is my last day of being a piranha owner. my 6 are rehoming today. :( ill still be in here to give advice tho.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
At least one learns from mistakes and does better the next time. We all have done accidents at least once in our lifetime.

fishoverlivingspace

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2008
Madison, WI
All of the solutions provided will help you raise your 5 piranhas when you get new ones, but the bottom line is that you shouldn't be keeping 5 piranhas in a 30 gal(if that truly is the size of tank that you have), and you should only be putting them in there if you have a larger tank to move them to within a few months. It would be a tough water change schedule just to keep one adult piranha in a 30 gal, much less 5, not to mention aggression.
Really sorry to hear about your losses.

mistawac

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2008
Akron, Ohio
Thanks for the help all. Today I went out and got a pH test kit and that was fine. I think it was due to the washcloth I used, which was replaced by a magnetic tank cleaner. I'm hoping to purchase five new ones this weekend.

And yes, I plan on moving them to a 100gal in Feb/March, possibly later now that I just lost an entire month.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store