Bad seal on used tank?

Jread002

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2019
I bought this used 125 from one of my lfs last week. I took it home filled it up in my garage to test it just to be sure. Three days later I checked it. I found a small amount of water near a corner when I was looking for the leak I noticed that there was about a 6" long area of silicone between the 2 pieces of glass that was a white milky color. After I emptied the tank if I press on the glass with just 2 fingers the white area grows/gets bigger. Am I righting thinking that the main silicone seal has started to fail? Lfs owner isnt making it easy for me to return the tank. Even if it wasn't leaking I don't feel comfortable setting this tank up in my livingroom. What are your guys thoughts? I have some pics but for some reason they wont upload

IMG_20190507_190600.jpg

IMG_20190507_190554.jpg

Jread002

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2019
I think I would have to take the whole thing apart and replace the silicone between the glass. Total rebuild.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Yeah.... I’d wouldnt trust just resealing the inside. It will need to be rebuilt like mentioned above.

How much did you pay for it if you don’t mind me asking?
I don’t know where you’re from, but I know here if you buy something used there are no guarantees and no returns. Used is always a gamble.

TheReefer

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Apr 13, 2019
Pennsylvania
I don't think it needs to be rebuilt, but if you still want to do it then it's your call (though that'd be your best bet). Or you could make 2 plywood tanks out of it so you get 2 tanks :p

LBDave

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Nov 27, 2018
Long Beach
Yeah.... I’d wouldnt trust just resealing the inside. It will need to be rebuilt like mentioned above.

How much did you pay for it if you don’t mind me asking?
I don’t know where you’re from, but I know here if you buy something used there are no guarantees and no returns. Used is always a gamble.
Agree. Structural seal has failed. At least the piece of glass would need to be removed and redone. And then will another corner fail?
Also, read this thread:
Getting ready

Reactions: illbethejudge

Jread002

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2019
Got lucky and found so. Home to buy the tank and stand for what I paid for it. They were using it for turtles and not putting any water in it. Got lucky. Went out and bought a brand new 125 with the cash. Better safe than sorry

Reactions: illbethejudge
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store