Bait shop silversides?

MHcblues119

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Mar 28, 2007
Essex, New Jersey
Is it safe to feed my fish silversides and butterfish and stuff like that to my fish?? I have a friend that owns a baitshop and i can get food like that really cheap. I would be feeding it to my arowana, datnoid, endlie, and motoro

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
know where the bait is coming from and what regs it's passed. likely it's better for your fish then goldfish. at least on a thiamine level if not nutritional. Be wary of heavy meds or if they come from a hatchery or collected. These should be questions easily answered by your friend. Any live food should still be QTed to avoid disease/parasites.

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
if you do definitely quarantine them and treat them for all kinds of parasites and all that stuff... when i was a kid we had a largemouth bass from 1" to about 3lbs and he eventually died on his 2nd bout of ich from baitshop shiners, never got sick from feeder goldfish surprisingly

NCStateFisher

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 27, 2010
NC
oh, well i feel dumb. haha - if they're frozen any parasites they may have had should be dead from the cold so i don't see why not

MonsterMinis

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 28, 2009
Wisconsin
ah Frozen.. shouldn't be an issue, long as they're properly frozen. I even hit up my seafood dept when grocery shopping for deals on Tilapia, Anchovies, Shrimp, ect.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store