Ball python escaped

rmorse

Gr8 Stalker
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Great Mills, Maryland
Well, it finally happened - My ball python escaped. She's been trying to escape for 2.5 years, and she finally succeeded. Any suggestions on getting her back?

At this point, I have her cave set up on the floor with a heat lamp over it, plus some used mouse bedding inside. I set it up last night, but haven't seen her yet. I'm also thinking of cleaning EVERYTHING off the floor except furniture, and laying down some flour across doorways. That way I can see which room(s) she's chilling in. I need to do some laundry, but I'm scared of killing her! Help me out MFK's. How can I find her? Do I need to go tell my neighbors? (I own a townhouse) Can I do laundry?

Oh, and hi everyone. I haven't been on in forever. :ROFL:

cichlid_fever

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2010
...Im out here!!
The flour worked for me,laundry be very careful doing so ,if you dont want you pet in full siycle,box one room at a time & start the hunt vheck the dark tight space tgat you would thimk he'd never be in! Hope it helps try sticky paper to,like fly paper.Jound mine int two days! best of luck,when you find him i suggest you but hin in something more secure to avoid future coincidents! Good luck Jose

black_sun

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Jul 31, 2008
New Jersey
If you have floor vents, check to where they lead. I had my corn snake use those to get from an upstairs sealed room down into the basement. Also, if you do have venting and if they lead to your neighbor's living space, I'd suggest telling them just in case.

I'd avoid using the sticky paper mentioned above, I've had to help people pull animals off those before at work... they can rip scales, skin, fur off (even if you do soaks to remove the glue). Some have stronger/weaker glues than others, but still.

rmorse

Gr8 Stalker
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Great Mills, Maryland
This sucks. :(

Shenanigans

Gambusia
MFK Member
Dec 26, 2011
Wyoming
search all your appliances, mine always loved to hide in the coils of the fridge. anything that gives off heat is a good hide!

Wiggles92

Dovii
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2009
Pennsylvania
Just wait for her to come out. I had a juvenile one escape a few months ago, and I didn't find it until two weeks later despite doing the flour thing as well as having a live mouse in a cage with bar spacing that would let it slip in with an empty stomach yet trap it with a full one. It turned out that it had hidden somewhere within my upright freezer, but I never saw it when I searched under it; I found it right beside that freezer at 3:00 a.m. one night after the one smoke detector went off due to a low battery (might have scared her out).

rmorse

Gr8 Stalker
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2008
Great Mills, Maryland
Can I do my laundry, or should I avoid doing laundry in the house for awhile?

DariusAmurdarja

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 22, 2011
Düsseldorf
Do your laundry but be very careful. Place a wet box in evry room and provide heat at that place. You can also buy a mouse and put it into a cage in the room where you expect your python.

And do not use that sticky paper. It can injure your python.

Andrewtfw

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Dec 23, 2005
Maryland
Be careful when doing the laundry. Both of my ball python morphs escaped from a previous cage and followed each other into the laundry room. One was easy to catch, as it was wrapped on the washer cord. The albino went into the side vent hookup on the dryer. I had to bait her out.
A few days prior to this, the mojave escaped and wedged himself against the heat duct. A thawed mouse worked as bait and I was able to recover him within minutes. Now I have a 40b critter cage, so once latched, they can't get out.

walls

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 2, 2005
Unfortunately gonna be a hard find, they can saty in one spot for a long....LONG time. Look in, under and behind all of your appliences. GOOD LUCK!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store