Bamboo cat shark and eels

Josh M.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2016
I'm building a 540 gallon tank for my eels and was wondering if I would be able to get a bamboo cat shark. I have a green moray(22"), specked moray(22"), yellow head moray(24") and a snowflake eel(15"). The tank will be 6'x6'x27". And yes I know the green moray gets huge and if I get anything else for this 540 he won't be able to stay for life. Once he gets big I plan on building another big tank just for him. I will also want to get some other tankmates for them but don't know what. So any suggestions would be great.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I'm building a 540 gallon tank for my eels and was wondering if I would be able to get a bamboo cat shark. I have a green moray(22"), specked moray(22"), yellow head moray(24") and a snowflake eel(15"). The tank will be 6'x6'x27". And yes I know the green moray gets huge and if I get anything else for this 540 he won't be able to stay for life. Once he gets big I plan on building another big tank just for him. I will also want to get some other tankmates for them but don't know what. So any suggestions would be great.

I've kept Bamboo and Marbled Catshark with a Snowflake Moray years ago.

Atumi

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 19, 2014
Australia
Sharks + Eels normally ends badly for one or the other, Normally the shark when kept in a tank with big Heavy-bodied Morays like yours. If you were to get a shark large enough it could hold its own against your big morays, but probably also make a meal of your snowflake.

Also, just for future reference Bamboo sharks are more closely related to Whale sharks than they are Cat sharks.

Reactions: tlindsey

wednesday13

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
The deep south
Bamboos are just that...bamboos... not a true cat shark sp... that being said. they do get larger than "cat sharks" and will attain 36"-40" no prob. They would be able to cohab with ur eels more so than a true catshark. my local mall had a 4-5' green morey. They had to remove it when it ate one of their 3' BTR's lol... im sure u already know what hes capable of tho. Honestly id stick with the eels only and other fish. Sharks are pretty mild tempered, easy going and get picked on by typical saltwater fish (tangs,triggers,angels,etc).. i lost one of my atelomycterous marmoratus (coral cat shark) from a big eye squirrel fish picking its eye out one day. Sharks should really be kept alone...or with other sharks.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Bamboos are just that...bamboos... not a true cat shark sp... that being said. they do get larger than "cat sharks" and will attain 36"-40" no prob. They would be able to cohab with ur eels more so than a true catshark. my local mall had a 4-5' green morey. They had to remove it when it ate one of their 3' BTR's lol... im sure u already know what hes capable of tho. Honestly id stick with the eels only and other fish. Sharks are pretty mild tempered, easy going and get picked on by typical saltwater fish (tangs,triggers,angels,etc).. i lost one of my atelomycterous marmoratus (coral cat shark) from a big eye squirrel fish picking its eye out one day. Sharks should really be kept alone...or with other sharks.

I agree totally with you had a juvie trigger pick the eye of a bamboo. Btw didn't have the luxury of the Internet at the time so now I always suggest research prior to obtaining any specie of fish Saltwater, Brackish, or Freshwater.

enjetek

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 14, 2012
l.a. - sfv
Don't do it. Had a good sized snowflake eel and bamboo and one day the bamboo managed to swallow a good portion of the eel and thrashed him around. Shortly after the eel didn't make it.

Josh M.

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 19, 2016
So basically I can only get the shark if I get a big one and get rid of my green and snowflake. And then it still might not work. That really sucks. What else would you guys suggest? I was thinking some angels, but I really don't know what else I want

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Bamboos are just that...bamboos... not a true cat shark sp... that being said. they do get larger than "cat sharks" and will attain 36"-40" no prob.
Glad someone cleared that up.I often hear so many people refer to bamboos as bamboo cat sharks.

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
Yeah I don't really know anything about them. They had one at my LPS and that's what they called it
Unfortunately some of the shops can't even be bothered enough label fish properly.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store