Bare bottom aquarium

ASR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2020
Should I turn my aquarium In a bare bottom aquarium so it will be easy for me to clean it and today I saw one of my oscar putting a gravel stone in its mouth and puking it any suggestions would definitely help

Screenshot_20200814_015004_com.android.gallery3d.jpg

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
yes

Reactions: tlindsey

Chief Tom

Piranha
MFK Member
Apr 25, 2020
I don't have an Oscar but I'd be hesitant to put too much breakable glass in there. My flowerhorn would probably smash the necks off those bottles for fun.

Reactions: tlindsey

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Did it pick it up and drop is elsewhere? Oscars are known for rearranging their habitats to fit their liking.

Reactions: deeda and tlindsey

Raka

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2019
Takes me about a minute to clean the bottom of my tanks, Im never going back to substrate!

ASR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2020
I don't have an Oscar but I'd be hesitant to put too much breakable glass in there. My flowerhorn would probably smash the necks off those bottles for fun.
well that's very hard glass specially imported from china to be gifted to our loved ones and now as you have said I am going to shift those in my showcase ?
Well that's very hard glass specially imported from China to be gifted to our loved once and now as you have said I am going to shift those in my showcase ?

Reactions: jjohnwm

esoxlucius

Balaclava Bot Butcher
MFK Member
Dec 30, 2015
UK
From an aesthetics point of view tanks without substrate aren't to everyone's liking, but a few choice rocks and wood can improve on that dramatically. From a cleanliness point of view they're hard to beat as long as you've got the correct directional flow in your water to avoid dead spots and shift any debris quickly to your filters.

I know that picture is taken lengthways along your tank, but your water looks a bit cloudy to me, and your mismatch of substrate doesn't look vacuum friendly, maybe this is why your water isn't crystal clear. Bare bottom should improve that situation.

If you do go bare bottom, a word of warning. Don't take all your gravel and rocks out in one go. There'll be enough BB attached to them that you may get an ammonia spike afterwards.

Thin it out gradually, maybe over a few water changes so BB levels don't take a big hit and cause you grief.

ASR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Aug 13, 2020
From an aesthetics point of view tanks without substrate aren't to everyone's liking, but a few choice rocks and wood can improve on that dramatically. From a cleanliness point of view they're hard to beat as long as you've got the correct directional flow in your water to avoid dead spots and shift any debris quickly to your filters.

I know that picture is taken lengthways along your tank, but your water looks a bit cloudy to me, and your mismatch of substrate doesn't look vacuum friendly, maybe this is why your water isn't crystal clear. Bare bottom should improve that situation.

If you do go bare bottom, a word of warning. Don't take all your gravel and rocks out in one go. There'll be enough BB attached to them that you may get an ammonia spike afterwards.

Thin it out gradually, maybe over a few water changes so BB levels don't take a big hit and cause you grief.

Well heres the centre shot the aquarium is very old I bought it from a store they were selling it for a cheap price so it might look dirty from a little bit far

Screenshot_20200814_033603_com.huawei.himovie.overseas.jpg

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
I personally can't stand bare-bottom tanks and don't use them except for temporary medication, isolation, etc.

On the other hand...the substrate in your tank appears to have been computer-designed to make proper cleaning as difficult as possible. It's nothing but crevices, large enough to allow uneaten food and fish waste to drop down between the gravel chips but small enough to make them inaccessible for cleaning. Too heavy for gravel vacuuming, I'll bet?

Rather than doing a 180-degree reversal to bare bottom, perhaps consider switching to a finer gravel or sand substrate. It will retain the natural look but will be far easier to keep clean.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store