Bare bottom????

FJB

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2017
Philadelphia, PA
I would say it is a matter of preference.
I have had both (bare bottom and with substrata), and prefer sand over all else, except in my quarantine tanks, which are bare bottom.

I like my aquaria to be communities. That is simply not possible with bare bottom tanks, even if it makes some things easier. The fish are only one of the various types of organisms in a community.

The idea that is not possible to safely have FX6 filters in sand-bottomed tanks is just not true. I have two tanks with sand and an FX6 on each for years (125g, and 75g); both have additional filters as well. No problem. Concerns about sand lifted by fish?, adding prefilters (all my filters have prefilters regardless) is soooo easy. Not an issue.

DrownedFishonFire

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2008
One of the things i strongly dislike about barebottom. Its the reflection of the light strip bouncing back to the fish eyes. I get a headache just looking down sometimes.

yes the Maintenance seems to be so much easier per peoples claims….IMO its the same as having a substrate covered tank. You still have to wipe off the biofilm that builds on the bottom/sides of the tank if went barebottomed. I dont touch the sand with the vacuum. If its done correctly its never needed.

if you have fish constantly spitting sand into the intake or having them kick it up there constantly and sand is floating around that means your sand size is too light/small for the stock you have in there then get a prefilter for the intake especially if you have mischievous cichlids spitting substrate into the intake tube on purpose.

Reactions: ..puSkar..
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store