barracudas

prm

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jun 30, 2005
the lfs
are these the only south american species of barracuda : South American Pike Characoids, Families Characidae and Ctenolucidae
All species of genera Acestrorhynchus, Ctenolucius (Boulengerella) and Luciocharax (Hydrocinus)
because all these are illegal in texas

robby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2005
Manor, Tx
Yeah, it looks like you pulled that straight from the Parks and Wildlife illegal fish book. I think the revisions to the fish laws are sometime this year, but they might have already happened, and it's a great chance to get some of the more ridiculous ones changed (like a few of the fish you mentioned). I intern at TPWD and also work at a LFS. I've seen my share of Bean's pike characins, Dorados, and Sabretooth characins go through the stores. Most stores won't knowingly order them for you, but they do pop up from time to time.

In my experience the Pike Charcin is cool for it's size (only 10 ro 12") and is a voracious killer with a bottomless belly, and Sabretooth characins are awesome ambush predators. And no, I don't have any, and can't get them for you, either.

My best advice is to write the people in control of this stuff and put a good argument up for changing the laws. You know, Pike Cichlids were once illegal in Texas, but lobbying by hobbyists got that changed.

TONSOFOSCAR

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2005
Robby do you think you can tell me how to take care of dorados and possibly some pics?

crazystereo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2005
az
Or, you could just -
KEEP YOUR TRAP SHUT AND DON'T TELL ANYONE YOU HAVE THEM!!!!!!!!! :hitting:

aztecfred

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 26, 2005
LMAO......!!

There is some sage advice.

Or get a muskie

they get big

and they eat

everything

Fred

robby

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 20, 2005
Manor, Tx
Don't have Dorados, won't get any, and Don't have Pics :lipsseale . Good advice above, BTW. You can find plenty on the net and in books about them. You can even find the fish, but you'll do it all by yourself.

I love all kinds of fish. I'm nuts about Freshwater Stingrays. All the fish you mentioned are cool. I don't keep them because it's not worth my current jobs, my future, and a lot of money in fines that I don't have.

I'm so paranoid that I don't even have a Tilapia or juvie bass that I'd love to seine outta any creek or river around my house.

Do what you will, I'm no narc, I don't care-just keep it in yr tank or kill it and donate it to science if you decide it's too big and eats too much. I'm tired of stuff ending up in the rivers that shouldn't be there. I've seen enough to think Pacus and Hypostomas (common monster plecos that just eat and crap all day) should be restricted in Texas, and believe me I despise restrictions placed on what anyone can do, but it just seems like some people need to be babysat well into adulthood.

Sorry, I don't want to start this stuff up again.

And TONSOFOSCAR, don't take any of this personally, I don't know you from anyone else. I've just seen too many people with blatant disregard for laws that ruin it for the rest of us that just don't want any trouble.

I just wanna cry when I see states up North that have banned all Pythons...

rayman45

Team Rayman
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
staten island new york
pike are very cool
some are very pretty also

piranha45

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2005
kay
robby said:
you think you could keep a pickerel at room temp w/o a chiller with no problems?
Yes, I've inquired on this before myself. Redfin and grass can handle temps up to low 80s.... prolly wouldnt wanna go that high with chain tho

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store