Bass and Bowfin...

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Ok I thought I was gunna put my bowfin and bass in my pond next year and what not but.... I don't think I am going to be able to. I am getting REALLY attached to them and I would love to keep them inside. So what size tank do you guys think I would need for a northern (Mich) strain largemouth and a bowfin (I'm guessing captive bred dunno if that makes a difference). I was thinkin that I am going to need AT LEAST a 180 probably bigger. But I will let you guys make the final decision. If it is a bit too big or watever they always have the pond.

Chad

ewurm

Aimara
MFK Member
Jan 27, 2006
I would say a 225 for the bass, it will eventually outgrow it but not for a while. Bowfin really get big, probably need at least a 300 for a full size adult growing year round.

fisher12889

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
May 21, 2006
Colorado
Most of the lm bass I catch here (northern strain) are between 6" and 15." Very rarely I catch or see 18+" bass, so I wouldnt expect yours to grow much over 20." A tank at least 2" wide and maybe 8' long would be needed for the bass. I dont know how big bowfins get, but it would probably be fine in the same size tank.

Chad55

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2005
Michigan
Yea... I maybe able to do a 240. You think they could live in that together for quite a while. I know the bowfin will eventually need something bigger. Which is why I have the pond. But how long would that be?

Chad

sandtiger

Captain Planet
MFK Member
Feb 14, 2005
NY
Most of the lm bass I catch here (northern strain) are between 6" and 15." Very rarely I catch or see 18+" bass, so I wouldnt expect yours to grow much over 20." A tank at least 2" wide and maybe 8' long would be needed for the bass. I dont know how big bowfins get, but it would probably be fine in the same size tank.
You don't see wild fish that large because people catch them and keep them or catch small fish and never allow them to grow that large. I bet if you found a place where people didn't fish you would find some nice sized bass. A LMB in cpativity would probably live longer than a wild fish and live in warmer year round temps so I would not be suprosed if one grew to 18" or more in a fishtank.

As for the bowfin, these fish are huge.

Picture from www.osadv.com

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store