beach sand as substrate okay ?

Drunken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2007
Denmark
Hi all
Been lurking around the forums as I`m getting a pair of convicts that i plan on breeding for feeders.

Setting up a 20gal tank and was wondering if rinsed and washed beach sand is a good substrate for them ?

Drunken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2007
Denmark
any suggestions on wich type of sand to use ?

At first i was leaning towards the type of sand you use under foundations for houses, but it compacts really well and from what i read... thats not so good

fourty2

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2007
In a house
well my personal preference is silica sand this is pretty much inert,you could use children's play sand not sure if this is silica sand...probably is,people do use it as a substrate,hope this helps.....

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
beach sand will be fine,ca cichlids wont mind the water a little harder if theres a few shells in there.pool filter sand or playsand are all fine if your looking for a cheap substrate

Drunken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 29, 2007
Denmark
Bought some playsand at local garden store... not the best looking imo :(
Just had to get the aquarium up and running today as I`m picking up the fish tomorrow.
The filter thats in the tank, has been used in another tank of mine so it has alll the bacteria etc... hoping it will do.

mbunafishkeeper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 24, 2007
Bristol (UK)
you can lots of sands from the LFS.....

fat felixxx

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jul 27, 2006
San Dimas, Socal
dang, beach sand as substrate is a good idea. sounds super cheap to me. hahaha. is it ok to take out my current substrate and put sand in there even though my fish are in the tank??

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store