Beginner corals that are easy to notice if something is going wrong

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
TLDR; What is a good beginner coral that doesn't require much current or high light levels and will be easy to noticel if it isn't doing well.

I have a 10 gallon saltwater aquarium that has 3 blue legged hermit crabs and an emerald crab. I might consider adding a small damsel fish or goby in the future. I was going to wait until I could afford a bigger saltwater aquarium before trying corals, but that is looking like it might be awhile off. Since I have the 10 gallon with live rock anyway I was thinking I might as well try frags of one of the easier kinds of corals.

So far mushrooms, leathers, zonathids, green star polyps, and xenia sound like the best options. I was leaning towards mushrooms or zonathids because I'm not sure my aquarium has enough current for xenia. I'm not sure how well mushroom and leather corals show if they aren't doing well though. What is a good beginner coral that will be easy/easier to notice if it isn't doing well? I'm open to other coral suggestions as well. I prefer kinds that won't cost a lot in frag form.

Thanks for any advice

Last edited:

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
from what I've seen online seems zoanthids show if they are stressed by not opening up. Will mushrooms and leathers show easy to notice signs early on as well?

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
from what I've seen online seems zoanthids show if they are stressed by not opening up. Will mushrooms and leathers show easy to notice signs early on as well?

It been years since I had a reef setup but do remember that Mushroom Coral will not open up as well if parameters are off.

Reactions: banjocat

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
Thanks for the replies

Do you have Coralline Algae growing on your live rock ?
Yes I believe so. Or at least there is red/purplish coloration. Not sure how healthy it is because I haven't been supplementing light for quite a few months. I don't use more than the room light at this time because there are only crabs. I'll have to figure something out for lighting before I get coral. I have 6000k bulbs but I think most people recommend 10,000k or something like that for coral. I also use a swing float hydrometer but am thinking of upgrading to a refractometer because they are supposed to be more accurate. Might also have to consider adding a small wave maker or pump if being placed near the hob filter's current isn't enough for a mushroom coral.

Should've mentioned I've had the aquarium for over a year. I've just never done much with it. Had only planned on using it for crabs, but it seems kind of bare and I thought trying some easy corals might be worth a try.

Last edited:
Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Thanks for the replies

Yes I believe so. Or at least there is red/purplish coloration. Not sure how healthy it is because I haven't been supplementing light for quite a few months. I don't use more than the room light at this time because there are only crabs. I'll have to figure something out for lighting before I get coral. I have 6000k bulbs but I think most people recommend 10,000k or something like that for coral. I also use a swing float hydrometer but am thinking of upgrading to a refractometer because they are supposed to be more accurate.

At the time I had the reef setup my lighting was expensive Metal Halide bulbs along with separate ballast for Actinic lighting it was like the sun was literally in my living room lol. Today lighting is very reasonably priced and don't require expensive ballast ,bulbs to supply adequate light to Corals.
Personally thinking of setting up a Nano aquarium in the near future.☺

banjocat

Candiru
MFK Member
Dec 5, 2007
Michigan
At the time I had the reef setup my lighting was expensive Metal Halide bulbs along with separate ballast for Actinic lighting it was like the sun was literally in my living room lol. Today lighting is very reasonably priced and don't require expensive ballast ,bulbs to supply adequate light to Corals.
Personally thinking of setting up a Nano aquarium in the near future.☺
Am tempted to see if a couple 6000k bulbs would work for trying with a couple mushrooms, but I am considering one or two of these led bulbs for coral https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXTZN2Q/ref=psdc_2975458011_t4_B073V5V5JP . or this one https://www.amazon.com/dp/B01COKRU4C/ref=psdc_2975458011_t3_B00CXTZN2Q

Good luck if you start a nano. Would you be using a protein skimmer? Have read they might not be necessary with my size of tank for easier corals if I keep up with water changes.

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
Am tempted to see if a couple 6000k bulbs would work for a mushroom, but I think one or two of these led bulbs for coral might be a better choice https://www.amazon.com/dp/B00CXTZN2Q/ref=psdc_2975458011_t4_B073V5V5JP .

Good luck if you start a nano. Would you be using a protein skimmer? Have read they might not be necessary with my size of tank for easier corals if I keep up with water changes.

I may use a protein skimmer but not sure. Keep us updated on your experience with your aquarium.

Fizzicks

Exodon
MFK Member
Dec 12, 2016
Las Vegas
I would go for an LED light and stick with soft corals.

Something like this would do great in your set up.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/a80-tuna-blue-nano-led-light-kessil.html

With the tank volume being so small you can get away with doing large frequent water changes vs having a bunch of equipment. And still be very successful.

I suggest soft corals because they're the easiest to care for and its obvious when looking at them to tell if their doing well or not.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I would go for an LED light and stick with soft corals.

Something like this would do great in your set up.
http://www.bulkreefsupply.com/a80-tuna-blue-nano-led-light-kessil.html

With the tank volume being so small you can get away with doing large frequent water changes vs having a bunch of equipment. And still be very successful.

I suggest soft corals because they're the easiest to care for and its obvious when looking at them to tell if their doing well or not.

Would you suggest using a protein skimmer even if I did weekly wc's?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store