Beginner Gar keeper, Information appreciated

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Spots tend to get a little bigger than Florida gar,both are fairly hardy,just make sure the gars get enough food(other fish may go for the food first)

Reactions: Frank Castle

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
I just bought a Gar for $12....
Yup, no joke - he's about 6" or so, came to $13.77 after tax - did I get a good deal? He is too small for me to tell what species it is, but i'm leaning toward either Spotter or Florida.

Anyone know how to tell them apart as juveniles? What foods will they favor besides live feederfish and am I going to have a PITA trying to get him to take frozen/thawed? Does anyone ever get these guys to eat pellets or flakes or anything along those lines?

How about suitable tankmates, obviously nothing that can fit in his mouth I guess?

Any more information anyone can tell me?
A few pics

STA_2417.JPG STB_2418.JPG STC_2419.JPG STD_2420.JPG

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Frank Castle

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 10, 2016
Pennsylvannia
Wait until the spots split,then post another pic,I'm leaning towards a spotted gar right now
I kind of ruled out Longnose, but I was definitely leaning towards Spotted, but I guess the chances of it being a Florida are just the same. I would prefer a Spotted since they are the smallest species

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Spots tend to get a little bigger than Florida gar,both are fairly hardy,just make sure the gars get enough food(other fish may go for the food first)
Floridas get bigger then spots in general. You can't tell the difference between the two anyways, you bought it at an lfs, it's a Florida gar

Lepisosteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
May 20, 2014
Ontario, Canada
Honestly if someone performed a study I bet the Florida and spotted gar would be one of the best representations of a geographic barrier. Both were at one time the same species, the two species were divided one was iscolated in the south east region of Florida and became its own species from having an isolated gene pool. Why they are very similar but still slightly different.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
I kind of ruled out Longnose, but I was definitely leaning towards Spotted, but I guess the chances of it being a Florida are just the same. I would prefer a Spotted since they are the smallest species
Most of the spots out here are around 15 inches,but I've seen 36 inches ,wild lifespan is about 15 20 years,but they can probably live longer in captivity.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store