Beginner Oscar Questions...

parker64

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 10, 2009
Maryland
yea oscars are like that he will prolly live to the 13-15 year range. I would try to hikari cichlid gold imo its the best food for large cichlids.... good luck...oscars are great fish i think you will enjoy having him in your tank

pjsmetana

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 26, 2010
Cocoa Beach, FL
parker64;4117487; said:
... hikari cichlid gold imo its the best food for large cichlids...
Agreed! I've been raising my Red Oscar on those pellets, freeze dried Krill, 1 live Molly a week, and the occasional earthworm from when my daughter digs one up in the back yard.

I wouldn't worry so much about your O not eating. Sounds like in the conditions he was in, that h probably got neglected a lot, and may not be used to eating so much. Maybe he's been fed within the past week and is confused. At his size, start worrying if he don't eat after 2 weeks. O's are smart fish, but only have a memory of about 2 weeks.

seraph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Glen Ellyn, IL
Thanks so much guys for your input...you all have defiantly put the worries to ease...for now... :p

clownie33

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 12, 2010
maryland
i think i once read somewhere that oscar can live for 15- 20 years but i could be wrong as far as the laying on the side that is pretty norm for an oscar the ones i used to have did that all the time and it goes the same for the hiding however i am very suprized that he is not eating and not agggressive maybe you just didnt acclimate him long enough befor throwing him back into the bigger tank

iloveyouDIE

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 29, 2010
Philadelphia
It will be a lot more obvious, since he's got some tankmates, when he's feeling better. Just go about your normal feeding routine with your cichlids and when he's hungry enough.. YOU'LL KNOW! lol

Oscars are really cool and personable. I want to get a couple of my own but currently I am too overstocked. I live vicariously through a friend who has a pair.

I hope you enjoy him and great work on the rescue.

HillFish

Exodon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2010
Upstate, NY
Like others said, I wouldn't worry about him eating (or lack thereof). He can go for quite a while without food. Once he cheers up he'll eat! Leave your tank alone (as far as rearranging) for a while and let him settle in and get used to a set environment.

Bigtdotcom

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2009
Gold Coast
Nice work on the save!! Oscars are awsome fish, i've had mine for 2 years now. All the things you mentiond like lying on his side not eating and hiding all seem pretty normal for a fish that has just went through alot of stress, just give hime some time and im sure he will come good. Also might be a good idea to leave the light off for a few days just so he can relax into his new home.
I cant belive someone could keep an oscar for that long and then be happy just to chuck him into a fish pond till he die........some people are just idiots!

Experiment397

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2010
Probably the Poly section
i wouldnt move the decor around, he will never stop pouting and not eating if he never feels comfortable. my oscar will move around decor pieces 3 times his size for no apparent reason. as for saving him you rock!!!! i love all the real personable cichlids and think they should all have good homes.

seraph

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2009
Glen Ellyn, IL
Great news guys...last night Oscar started eating the Hikari Cichlid Staple medium floating pellets!!! but the damn little cichlids are so freaking fast they beat him to it...even though those pellets are twice the size of their mouths!!!

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store