Beginners Guide to Filter Media

IMRTL13

Gambusia
MFK Member
Jul 30, 2008
North Idaho
Dr Joe;1263220; said:
I wanted to get this somewhere so it wouldn't get lost... http://doitbest.com/Scouring+Pads-Do+it+Best+Imports-model-10044-doitbest-sku-632989.dib

Order in quantity and have them shipped to a local store for p/u...no shipping charges! :headbang2

This was brought to our attention by another member who I can't find to give credit to.

Dr Joe

Thank you for this site! I was about to post a thread on where to find pot scrubbies (in bulk) for cheap. The dollar store works if you only need a few but when your talking about a ]V[onster W/D or Sump you need more than just a few. lol I have Do It Best Centers in my area so this is great.

Dr Joe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 8, 2006
Sixty Miles South of Tampa Florida
Note:

Scrubby = 3" wide x 1.5" thick

16 scrubbies per sq. ft.

144 per cu. ft. stacked (9 high).

Fill spaces in between small bio-balls and ceramics for most efficiency.

Dr Joe

StewHawke

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2008
Melbourne Australia
Doh!

Scrubbies. Perfect for what I need at the moment. I'm not an idiot. I just don't notice what could be obvious until somebody tells me it will work.

Cheap and will fit perfectly where I want it. Well some cutting.

Somebody else designed my DIY set up. My wife bought it on EBay. It's not as good as I would like in a lot of ways. I fixed a fair bit of stuff. It need that anyway but it's still not the way I would want it.

But now. Choices, drain the water (again) redo lots of stuff (agian) spend lots more money (again) or buy some scrubbies and put them in just those places in the system where they would just work and fit perfectly?

I'm a curmudgeon I'm drainin' the tank.

THUMP!

Buy the Scrubbies.

BUT, BUT it's not Aquarist enough, the're for dishes.

THUMP!

Buy the scrubbies.

BUT, BUT, I'm a perfectionist I need the most expensive solution even if it doesn't work as well.

THUMP! THUMP!

Buy the Scrubbies!

Scrubbies hey? I'm glad I thought of that.

Stuart Hawke

jackdaniel

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 1, 2008
USA
I've got a 56 gal. column with two small JDs in it alone. I have a Fluval 305 with prefilter, biomax, and polishing pad media. I will replace the polishing pads with carbon or more biomax as needed. Will this work long-term?

nishant_datta

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Nov 16, 2006
New Delhi, India
Dr Joe;2244374; said:
Note:

Scrubby = 3" wide x 1.5" thick

16 scrubbies per sq. ft.

144 per cu. ft. stacked (9 high).

Fill spaces in between small bio-balls and ceramics for most efficiency.

Dr Joe

thats a thoughtful suggestion. tell me something though, if water can pass stright through scrubbies and thereby reduces their efficiency then can a different manner of stacking them (not one on top of the other) help.

also, if i can use a drilled plastic plate under every say third layer of scrubbies, that might help ? asking cause starting my sump on this weekend. thanks in advance. sump size 60"x18"x18".

should i use anything else in addition scrubbies ?

monstermidas20

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2008
fall river,ma
i said this in another thread but i run an ocean clear canister filter in my 75 thats power by a pan world pump at about 900 gallons an hour. i dont run any sort of bio but just relied on the cartige to do the bio. i dont have any problems with nitrates but when i clean the filter the amonia goes up for a short time until the filter catches up with bio. the cartrige is hollow in the middle and recently added bio balls to it but dont know if they will work fullt submerged. are they only good for trickle filters. could i put those scrubies in there submerged constantly? i was going to buy the pentair fluidized bed bio filter but will have to wait untill funds are good. what would be my best bet?

PrecisionAquatics

Candiru
MFK Member
Sep 24, 2008
SouthWest, CO
Great thread thanks. Has anyone built a sand bed filter? W/D type where the water flows down through the sand into a sump? Seems like this would work well.

Nyquil Junkie

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 21, 2009
USA
Hi... nice site ya got here...

I like the dollar store scrubbies, I was pleased to see they rank high for surface area.

I'm working on a new bio-filter DIY job here, I'll post it in your DIY section when its done, and since it'll be full of cheapo scrubbies, I got a question... (and an observation)

Does anyone else unroll them? They fit better into some filters when you unroll them and you can stuff them in oddball spaces that you cant just put one that is rolled up.

also, is there actually any advantage to doing this? I kinda think they dont clog up with crud quite so fast when they are unrolled. I think maybe the water flow is better that way.

I have a small bio filter in my tank using 6 of these things, and my new DIY experiment will need maybe 30 of them. I'm torn between the ease of leaving them rolled, or the added (if any) benifit by unrolling them and packing them in the filter.

If I leave them rolled, once they get a little gunky the water is glong to flow around them rather than through them. if they are unrolled and packed in there the water will have no choice but to flow through them.

No one mentioned the pros/cons of HOW to use the plastic scrubbies, so I thought I'd toss that out there as a first post.

Psychomatrix

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2009
Trinidad and Tobago
the pot scrubbies rock
they work wonderfully as so does some nylon netting all balled up to as tightly packed as you want or as loose.
actually i think the nylon netting works better.
i use to use the pot scrubbies all the time but i noticed i can better manipulate the nylon netting to get the flow rates i want and it may be just in my mind but i find netting setups up with bacteria a little faster.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store