Behind tank sump

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Been forever since I have been on here. About 6 years ago I built a 240 gallon Ply tank and over tank sump. I got so frusterated cleaning it (and changing the dead pumps was a pain in the butt too) I took out the sump and cut it into pieces and threw it away. Well........ can you say cutting one's nose off to spite one's face? I have regretted this decision ever since. Now it was a pain to clean as I said, but it was also very noisy and unyeildy to look at too. So now o my question.

I have about 5 1/2 inches behind the tank for the now gone sump and plumbing so I was thinking of using 4" PVC and making a wet/dry sump for behind the tank. Has anyone seen anything like this on the forum or online? I am at work right now so I cant post any pictures of my idea, but I will put it Sketchup when I get home and post my idea.

Right now my water quality is OK, but the tank looks like crap, and I have to clean it more frequently than normal.

Any ideas or suggestions would be helpful.

Pic of the tank with the sump on top.

20141109_140438.jpg

Reactions: twentyleagues

twentyleagues

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Apr 5, 2017
Flint town!
I have found a thread with an idea like this in the past. The guy builds tanks and uses a set up like what you have designed there. His is all bio though. So no idea what works for his mech. Google diy canister filter. It's for a salt tank the one he shows any way.

john73738

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Nov 8, 2009
Las Vegas, NV
Thanks, this helped me find more information. I am in the final stages of planning, and will begin building later this month. Will start a build thread in the DIY forum sction.

Bear

Reactions: twentyleagues
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store