Belly Crawler Pike

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I kept them for a while, bought 10 juvies at a gcca auction for about $10(Chicago Cichlid Assn) and the largest one ate all her brothers and sisters in a 150 gal tank.

At the same auction a friend bought a bag of 10, and the largest (a male) ate all his brothers and sisters, so I ended up with his male. After growth my female was non-aggressive with any fish she couldn''t swallow, in that same size tank.

above photo, the female (you can tell by the spots in her dorsal, and more round belly)
Below the male (no spots in the dorsal). Before I gave them away, they hit @8-10"

Achilles1763

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2016
UK
They are awesome fish I had one a few years ago, not as highly aggressive as some of the pike cichlids but still an angry fish! They get this amazing black and green tiger strip pattern when Hunting, they top out at around 7-8 inches so are ideal for small groups..: but they are very predator and will eat anything they thing they can swallow. I saw mine try and swallow an oscar half its size!!! Luckily he spat it out before it choked... I am looking for a few myself for my large comm tank.

Reactions: Yurn Yurn

Yurn Yurn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
They are awesome fish I had one a few years ago, not as highly aggressive as some of the pike cichlids but still an angry fish! They get this amazing black and green tiger strip pattern when Hunting, they top out at around 7-8 inches so are ideal for small groups..: but they are very predator and will eat anything they thing they can swallow. I saw mine try and swallow an oscar half its size!!! Luckily he spat it out before it choked... I am looking for a few myself for my large comm tank.
Thank you for this.

Yurn Yurn

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2017
I kept them for a while, bought 10 juvies at a gcca auction for about $10(Chicago Cichlid Assn) and the largest one ate all her brothers and sisters in a 150 gal tank.

At the same auction a friend bought a bag of 10, and the largest (a male) ate all his brothers and sisters, so I ended up with his male. After growth my female was non-aggressive with any fish she couldn''t swallow, in that same size tank.

above photo, the female (you can tell by the spots in her dorsal, and more round belly)
Below the male (no spots in the dorsal). Before I gave them away, they hit @8-10"
Thank you for this I appreciate it a lot. Sorry I had to delete pictures or it wouldn't allow me to say ty.

Yuki Rihwa

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 22, 2015
Asia
I am looking for any information on this fish.
Look like you're new to the site here is the link that come up and might have your information that you need.

https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/...ion-on-the-belly-crawler-pike-cichlid.579756/

Again, abuse search tool we have million+ information that folks asking for same information over and over, you can pretty much find all the answer before you ask lol

EDIT:

Somehow on my end I didn't see any replies to this thread until I replied and boom all other replies popped up LOL Sorry for duplicated.

bbortko

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 3, 2010
Northwest, Indiana
Mine was closed to 10" and very mild mannered. Never started a fight but would dart as fast as any fish I've ever seen and get in between 2 fish fighting at which point the 2 fighters would knock it off fast. Not exactly outgoing but not shy either.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store