Beneficial Bacteria Growth

skiwez

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jun 12, 2006
ny
Well I had to do an emergency QT tank for my convict that was terrorizing my Oscar. So I currently have him in a 10 gallon that brand new with new filter. I put a pad in my established tank to get some nitrifying bacteria on it. Any idea how long it will take to colonize?

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
a week or so tops with the old pad

zennzzo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 18, 2005
Mile High in Northern AZ, baby!~
Well I had to do an emergency QT tank for my convict that was terrorizing my Oscar. So I currently have him in a 10 gallon that brand new with new filter. I put a pad in my established tank to get some nitrifying bacteria on it. Any idea how long it will take to colonize?
You might try a divider in the main tank and do a fishless cycling in the new one...It's not a good Idea to subject that fish to an uncycled tank. Can you use the water and a filter pad from the established tank?
There are numerous start-up bacteria products out there, as well as putting some established gravel in a nylon and put it in the new tank...here is a link to fishless cycling... http://www.wisegeek.com/what-is-fishless-cycling.htm
good luck with that Convict

messiner

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 1, 2005
americas wang
whoops read the title paragraph wrong, sorry

gomezladdams

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 8, 2005
gilboa,ny
Best bet is to take some material from your established filter and put it in the new filter

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store