Beneficial Bacteria; Temperature/Sunlight

koinoober

Feeder Fish
Jul 25, 2017
Hi, I recently set up a small pond outside and seeded the media but it is taking forever for ammonia/nitrite levels to drop to 0. Initially it was fish-in but they've been removed 2 weeks ago.

It's about 700 gallons and the water temperature during the day is about 75F, and at night, 55F at it's lowest. I know that's a huge difference but the fish seemed OK. But is this difference causing the BB to become "dormant" at night?

Also the pond and the media in the waterfall filter receive about 3 hours of direct sunlight in the morning. I thought I read somewhere that BB don't like sunlight, but is that true?

Aside from all of the fish, I've moved half of the media into an indoor aquarium with stable temperature of 80F. I'm assuming the tank had a bit of BB left on the walls and decor since ammonia levels are lower than the pond outside.

Would adding Tetra Safestart, half way through the cycling process make a difference to either the pond or the tank?

koinoober

Feeder Fish
Jul 25, 2017
Sorry I seem to have posted in wrong area. I have created another thread in the general section so if somebody can delete this one. Thanks

Reactions: J. H.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Hi, I recently set up a small pond outside and seeded the media but it is taking forever for ammonia/nitrite levels to drop to 0. Initially it was fish-in but they've been removed 2 weeks ago.

It's about 700 gallons and the water temperature during the day is about 75F, and at night, 55F at it's lowest. I know that's a huge difference but the fish seemed OK. But is this difference causing the BB to become "dormant" at night?

Also the pond and the media in the waterfall filter receive about 3 hours of direct sunlight in the morning. I thought I read somewhere that BB don't like sunlight, but is that true?

Aside from all of the fish, I've moved half of the media into an indoor aquarium with stable temperature of 80F. I'm assuming the tank had a bit of BB left on the walls and decor since ammonia levels are lower than the pond outside.

Would adding Tetra Safestart, half way through the cycling process make a difference to either the pond or the tank?
I couldn't find your post in general forum so I will answer here. I don't know if you resolved your pond issue. My local fish store sells a light weight hole suffused volcano rock, cheaply by the pound. Put these first your established aquarium for a few weeks. The beneficial bacterial will inhabitat these holely bacteria hotels. After a time add them to the bottom of your pond. The sun's UV can't reach there. Your beneficial and 1 ju hit bacteria will be irradiated dead at the surface. V

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I couldn't find your post in general forum so I will answer here. I don't know if you resolved your pond issue. My local fish store sells a light weight hole suffused volcano rock, cheaply by the pound. Put these first your established aquarium for a few weeks. The beneficial bacterial will inhabitat these holely bacteria hotels. After a time add them to the bottom of your pond. The sun's UV can't reach there. Your beneficial and 1 ju hit bacteria will be irradiated dead at the surface. V
sorry don't know what happened in the previous sentence, must have hit the wrong key. Bad surface bacteria will also be killed. Sand to layer the bottom your pond can be purchased cheap at the hardware store. Safe start can be added to your pond. You might need quite a bit. Seed your pond with beneficial bacteria over time with water and borrowed substrata from your aquarium.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store