Beneficial Bacteria; Temperature/Sunlight

koinoober

Feeder Fish
Jul 25, 2017
Hi, I recently set up a small pond outside and seeded the media but it is taking forever for ammonia/nitrite levels to drop to 0. Initially it was fish-in but they've been removed 2 weeks ago.

It's about 700 gallons and the water temperature during the day is about 75F, and at night, 55F at it's lowest. I know that's a huge difference but the fish seemed OK. But is this difference causing the BB to become "dormant" at night?

Also the pond and the media in the waterfall filter receive about 3 hours of direct sunlight in the morning. I thought I read somewhere that BB don't like sunlight, but is that true?

Aside from all of the fish, I've moved half of the media into an indoor aquarium with stable temperature of 80F. I'm assuming the tank had a bit of BB left on the walls and decor since ammonia levels are lower than the pond outside.

Would adding Tetra Safestart, half way through the cycling process make a difference to either the pond or the tank?

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
1) what does seeding the media mean?
2) when did you first set up the pond?
3) what did you put in the pond as a source of ammonia? How much? How often?
4) when did you test the water? what were the exact test results?
5) have you tested for nitrates? if so, what were the last test results and when did you get them?
6) what is the water pH?

---55F will not make BB go dormant. BB are slower at 55, but not dormant.

---I have never heard that BB hate sunlight. I have heard they work better in the dark, but no one intentionally keeps tanks in the dark, and BB develop just fine.

It takes a while for BB to grow, especially if the amount of food is very tiny. Without knowing when, how much, what, how often, how long, it's impossible to know. Even when adequate food is given, it's not uncommon for it to take many weeks. Six or more weeks isn't out of the question at all if temps repeatedly drop to 55. Ideal temps are a constant range of 77-85F.

Reactions: JK47 and tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
1) what does seeding the media mean?
2) when did you first set up the pond?
3) what did you put in the pond as a source of ammonia? How much? How often?
4) when did you test the water? what were the exact test results?
5) have you tested for nitrates? if so, what were the last test results and when did you get them?
6) what is the water pH?

---55F will not make BB go dormant. BB are slower at 55, but not dormant.

---I have never heard that BB hate sunlight. I have heard they work better in the dark, but no one intentionally keeps tanks in the dark, and BB develop just fine.

It takes a while for BB to grow, especially if the amount of food is very tiny. Without knowing when, how much, what, how often, how long, it's impossible to know. Even when adequate food is given, it's not uncommon for it to take many weeks. Six or more weeks isn't out of the question at all if temps repeatedly drop to 55. Ideal temps are a constant range of 77-85F.
^
This

JK47

Retired MFK Admin
MFK Member
Aug 4, 2008
Washington
Bacteria eat and replicate under ideal conditions. Canister filters have zero light, sumps have some and ponds have lots. All the same so long as it isn't competing with excessive algae for surface area. The difference being how much the bacteria consume and replicate. Lower temps is the same in the bacterial colony as it is in fish. Minimal activity, replicating or breeding.

It just takes much longer with lower temps to build a strong bacterial colony. It will catch up in time. That is why the tank with ideal conditions is out performing the outdoor tank.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store