Best algae eaters

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I'm wonder what are some of the best algae eaters out there, and what species could live in my tank(45 gallons). Fish that may be a problem in my stock are my vittata pleco, regani dwarf pike cichlid, and angelfish. I'm wondering since my siamese algae eaters don't eat that much algae growing in my tank.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Bristle nose pleco or rubber lip would work for ur tank.

FIU Panther

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 24, 2008
South Florida
Are you sure you had true SAEs?

I had a ton of small patches of BBA and string algae in my planted tank and it's all gone since I added my SAEs.

For brown diatom algae oto's are the best I've found, they devour it!

For green spot algae or algae in general that's on the glass I use a dish sponge (yellow/green) during my weekly water changes.

Rob909

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Aug 31, 2018
Fontana, CA
I’ve had good success with Chinese algae eaters.
Too bad you’re working with such a small tank, Matteus Matteus has a flagtail that’s an algae eating monster! Flagtails are pretty good at algae control but they get pretty large.

Matteus

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2018
Canada eh
Have you tried a giant Peruvian apple snail? I’ve always wanted one but figure it would eat my swords.

Reactions: Rocksor

patrickjohnsgarcia

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Sep 11, 2008
philippines
depending on what type of algae you have, foe BBA, SAE/flying foxes do well but for the brown algae, otocinclus but it will get eaten by your fishes quickly.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
depending on what type of algae you have, foe BBA, SAE/flying foxes do well but for the brown algae, otocinclus but it will get eaten by your fishes quickly.
I have some brown algae and sometimes hair algae. I think my SAE eat some algae, but since these guys are small(2 inches), it doesn't look like they're doing much.

Fishnerd360

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 2, 2018
I’ve had good success with Chinese algae eaters.
Too bad you’re working with such a small tank, Matteus Matteus has a flagtail that’s an algae eating monster! Flagtails are pretty good at algae control but they get pretty large.
I thought chinese algae eaters would when larger, such/attack large bodied fish like angelfish.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store