Best Beginner Fish

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Lets start with the basics, what would you most want to get out of the tank?

1: a solo wet pet?

2: community type setup of peaceful colorful fish with lots of decor

3: an aggressive predatory setup with fish that would devour pellets like no tmr...

4: something more unique and odd thats not often seen?

Maybe if we have an idea of the direction you would like to go, we can give you some more suitable answers...

Drstrangelove

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 21, 2012
San Francisco
I am new to fish keeping and have never owned an aquarium before. I've been doing a lot of research on the topic but I would like some guidance on what fish I should be choosing. I don't want a fish that will be extremely easy to take care but I also don't want it to be extremely hard. I'm thinking of getting a 75 gallon - 90 gallon tank.

Criteria
- Easy - intermediate to take care of
- Looks good
- Active
My first tanks were 10 and 20 gallon tanks. I probably had 5 years experience before I owned a 55 and some cichlids. Unsurprisingly, I made a boatload of mistakes, lost a lot of fish, and realized that hands-on experience often counts for a lot. That all preceded my 55+ gallon-sized tanks.

According to your post, here's some of the basics you have never done:

1) started and sustained a nitrogen cycle
2) done regular and successful water changes
3) properly cleaned a filter
4) set up decor and a substrate
5) properly measured water metrics multiple times
6) addressed ich or other fish related diseases or parasites
7) handled an algae bloom
8) handled a bacterial bloom
9) determined lighting, feeding, cleaning routines

If I had a friend or relative who asked the same question, I would advise going with fish such as mollies, corydoras or guppies first, and not in a 75 gallon, but in a 10-20 gallon.

Worst case scenario: you buy the 20 gallon and you get bored. But you now have some beginners experience which will help towards a successful 75 gallon, plus you have 1) a tank which is set up and adequate to operate as a quarantine or hospital tank, 2) filter material which can be transferred to the 75, 3) better experience in understanding your interests and habits before choosing new fish, 4) potential experience with problems which you may have already seen.

In any case, I wish you luck in your experience and choices.

Last edited:

Brody L

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 18, 2018
Cleveland, Ohio
I'm my opinion and from experience, an Oscar is a relatively easy fish to care for, and I would recommend an Oscar if you want a a fish with a very unique personality. Of course if you plan to get an Oscar just do research but really the biggest thing to me is just water changes and water quality

Reactions: rascalbo

elting44

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 8, 2007
Salina, KS
If I had a friend or relative who asked the same question, I would advise going with fish such as mollies, corydoras or guppies first, and not in a 75 gallon, but in a 10-20 gallon.
While I agree with your advice, I don't think the suggestion of a 10-20g is necessarily the best beginner tank. With only 10g of water, the volatility of water chemistry is very high. I think a 40g breeder is closer to being ideal for a newcomer, and if the OP decides upgrade, 40g breeder can be used as a quarantine tank/sump.

I am also of the opinion that a 75 is too small for an Oscar for life and a 90 would be the minimum I would be comfortable keeping an Oscar in. Seems like they are so prone to HLLE and HITH, and keeping nitrates low in a 75g with as much bioload as an oscar produces would be quite a task for a beginner.

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Get Goldfish. They are almost bombproof, They'll take an enourmous beating before they die, never kill each other, and are not very susceptible to any disease except finrot IME.
I think a 75 no easier or harder to care for than a ten, having kept fish in many different sized tanks, and have found that smaller tanks are easier to crash, but easier to keep running nicely (less room for things to end up where you can't find them, maintenance is just easier).

justarn

Arapaima
MFK Member
May 24, 2011
Kent UK
Firemouths or their relatives, elliotii or helleri are a great option, could do a nice breeding group maybe add a gold nugget pleco and some sword tails. Would make a nice tank.
Check through some of stanzz threads.

Reactions: rascalbo

magpie

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2016
Oregon
I agree with looking around and giving us more of a list of fish that appeal to you. "Looks good" is very subjective - I love bichirs but some people think they're gross. So give us a few fish that you like and then we can make better suggestions.

Also, what are you thinking for decor? Live plants? Fake? More bare bones?

What is the pH of your tap water?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store