Best Beginner Fish

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Is this some kind of joke?
Even if the lung fish grows to 2 feet, its too large for a 75 or a 90.

Maybe your one of those guys who like keeping fish in tanks where they don't even have enough space to turn around in.
We have come a long way from the old days where we had to rely on the advise of the fishkeeper who was only interested in selling his stock and ended up with fish too large for our tanks. Best to give a beginner the correct advise, so he doesn't regret buying a fish too big for his tank.
dude you want to talk about taking care of fishes and crap like providing proper husbandry for it. like the dude above me said he saw a few that's a couple feet long,and thats mother freaken awesome! hey guy he also said it's older than my dead grandpa classic truck. If you have any type of moral responsibility or cared that much for your pets in that time frame even if you had to collect cans or sell cardboard you could of put aside enough money to upgrade I would at least hope you would. And SECONDLY you are god damn right I am that type of guy. ima shove whatever I can in my little butt tank because I can... it's my tank, my money, my fish, matter fact I have to go feed my Arapaima and my white surgeon and maybe go do a water change because that 10g tank they are in is looking a little pea soup color.

Dloks

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 5, 2011
in a car
Maybe your one of those guys who like keeping fish in tanks where they don't even have enough space to turn around in.
We have come a long way from the old days where we had to rely on the advise of the fishkeeper who was only interested in selling his stock and ended up with fish too large for our tanks. Best to give a beginner the correct advise, so he doesn't regret buying a fish too big for his tank.
man guy I hate to always look like the a-hole but this ish really boils my blood n especially it's because of some dude online but man how are you going to waste all that time and finger muscle to tell me ANYTHING when you had a Giant Gourami, 4 Oscar, a Pack, and a Green terror all in a 120. Youre cramming 4 feet monsters or whatever size wiki or joe shmoe told you in a 4feet tank. yah information/internet was limited but so was common sense too apparently because you don't need to the internet to see that your fishes has outgrown the tank. but wait your telling me that your Pacu or gourami didn't hit 3-4feet????? JUST LIKE WHAT THE INTERNET TOLD YOU???? hmm....

Hidan

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2018
man guy I hate to always look like the a-hole but this ish really boils my blood n especially it's because of some dude online but man how are you going to waste all that time and finger muscle to tell me ANYTHING when you had a Giant Gourami, 4 Oscar, a Pack, and a Green terror all in a 120. Youre cramming 4 feet monsters or whatever size wiki or joe shmoe told you in a 4feet tank. yah information/internet was limited but so was common sense too apparently because you don't need to the internet to see that your fishes has outgrown the tank. but wait your telling me that your Pacu or gourami didn't hit 3-4feet????? JUST LIKE WHAT THE INTERNET TOLD YOU???? hmm....
Yeah I did. Bought them around 15 years ago at the size of 1-2 inches and wasn't told by the aquarium shop how large they would get. When they outgrew the tank I tried to return them, but nobody would take them back as there isn't a market for fish that size in my country.
So my options was murder of innocent fish or to release an invasive species into the local water bodies (not something I want to do).

More importantly I didn't add any new fish in the tank after the Oscar and Green Terror passed away and it was just a Pacu & gourami for half a decade.
And yes the Pacu did grow to 2 feet and Gourami was also a bloody monster at 15-16 inches.

I am now wiser from my mistakes and won't make those again as I now have access to data on fishes thanks to useful sites of aquarium fishes.

It is due to those very mistakes that I don't want other new fishkeepers to make the same mistake I did. But it seems that is hard to understand for someone like you, who wants to pretend that monster fish don't grow big if you keep them in a 10 gal.

Reactions: J. H.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
I'm recommending exactly what's he' asking for. easy, looks good and active. do you know for a fact they grow 4 feet? I bet you're one of those guys that say alligator gars grow 10feet long and pairibas are man eaters.
Personally I've seen 3ft AUL. Not to mention their price.

Let me get this straight, OP has some comets right? I'd say get a bigger tank and run those in there. They're lots of fun :)

rascalbo

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 6, 2018
Minnesota, USA
Update:
I went to my LFS and found a couple of fish that I really liked. Please tell me which of these fish would be able to fit into a 75-90 gallon tank and if any of them could be tank mates.
- Red Tailed Barracudas
- Flower Horn (preferably red flower horn)
- Black Ghost Knife Fish
- Frontosa Cichlid
-Green Terror
- Yellow King Tiger Pleco
- Green Spotted Pufferfish

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
How much of a bloodbath do you want? :p
GT + pleco + Red Tail might work, maybe even with the front
Puffer and Flowerhorn will not tolerate tankmates, except maybe a pleco.
BGK is too big for a 75 or 90, and you'll never see it once it goes into the tank.

Reactions: rascalbo

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Update:
I went to my LFS and found a couple of fish that I really liked. Please tell me which of these fish would be able to fit into a 75-90 gallon tank and if any of them could be tank mates.
- Red Tailed Barracudas
- Black Ghost Knife Fish
- Frontosa Cichlid
-Green Terror
probably a solo flowerhorn in the tank depending on the type.

you could have a pair of green terrors with a couple tankmates, maybe your pleco.

bgk should probably have a larger tank. frontosa get pretty large as well so i wouldnt.

the rest im unsure of. i think the puffer needs brackish water and the barracuda would rewuire more room to bolt around like they tend to. all of these fish are on the upper end of the spectrum for your size tank though.

Hendre

Bawitius
Staff member
MFK Member
Jan 14, 2016
South Africa
Out of those a flowerhorn sounds like the best

Reactions: rascalbo

Ogertron3000

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Nov 6, 2017
Australia
Update:
- Red Tailed Barracudas
- Black Ghost Knife Fish
- Frontosa Cichlid
-Green Terror
I'd personally go for either the flower horn by itself or a pair of green terrors. Blue acaras are similar to the terrors but more manageable and peaceful so you coul consider them too, they would give you more options for tank mates too.

Reactions: magpie
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store