Best color backround. ?

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
I have a 90 gallon tank with 9 Discus in it. They range in size from 4 inches to 6 inches. Tank has a blue backround. Red melons and Pigeons look great with that color. But Blue Diamonds don’t. They kind of match the color backround. What color backround would make all Discus colors stand out. Or maybe a different bulb in my standard light I have?

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
Thanks. That’s what I was thinking too. I do have an inch of black gravel in this tank also I know, I know, should be bare bottom or sand for Discus.

altums85

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Dec 6, 2018
In general black is the best. However, for discus black isnt to great. As it blends in with the background and may cause darkening and peppering in the discus unless u dont mind that.

Reactions: decoy50

mr limpet

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 25, 2009
New York
I know. Some of my pigeons are peppering from the black gravel. Is there a light bulb that will make their colors pop? I have a std 4 foot type light with a std fluorescent bulb in it.

decoy50

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jan 25, 2012
VA
Definitely NOT black if you don't like peppering on your discus. Particularly with black substrate too. You want a light color with pigeon based fish. If you don't like light blue, try an off-white or light tan.

Reactions: 30index

30index

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jan 6, 2023
Weighing in much after this posting date but chiming in anyway. As you know, discus like to adapt to their environment, so a black background may cause some to pepper. I have a planted discus tank and the substrate is black. Half of them are peppered because of that and the other half are not. If you are planting, try to find a light colored substrate. I sprayed the back side of our 75gal with a clear frosted color and light the grey wall makes a nice background for plants.

Reactions: tlindsey
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store