Best color substrate for enhancing Andinocara Rivultus color

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Hi guys,

Still in the final planning stages of my new tank build. I am currently moving and giving a buddy of mine my 90 gallon. The new tank will be a 180 or possibly a 225 if I can get some extra funds together.

With that being said I am looking at keeping a harem of andinocara rivultus in there thanks to the help of Stanzzzz7 Stanzzzz7 . I do like the natural look which is what I am mostly likely going to end up doing but I also love black substrate and think it looks sharp. Any suggestions to what you guys keep your Green Terrors in and if it has any effect on their coloration?

Pics are always helpful!

Reactions: Stanzzzz7

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
Some fish will show better colours over a dark substrate. Having said that, healthy well fed rivulatus kept in clean water should shine regardless of substrate colour.
Obtaining decent stock is the most important factor with this species. Good genetics is the biggest influence of bold colouration with these cichlids and a darker substrate won't have that much effect on their overall appearance.
If it were me I would source some good specimens and go for as natural looking scape as possible.

philipraposo1982

Banned
MFK Member
Feb 21, 2016
Cambridge, Ontario
I used to keep my guy over white caribsae moonlight sand and his colors while good were not great at the time (he is also a young gt and still growing out).

I have since switched to a mixed gravel type substrate (mixed myself to get a more natural look) and it for sure has made a difference in his appearance. He darkened up and his colors look bolder.

Keep in mind he is a little older now so maybe I am just noticing his colors coming in more and more and it doesn't have much to do with substrate. But in the past I have kept many different fish and a darker substrate tends to make the fish look better imo.

GT's do vary a lot in appearance, from short stubby looking body and fins to longer stretched out looking fish. Told band/seam seems to vary alot from fish to fish, how tall of a body, ect..

So figure out what you like when it comes to appearance with GT and find one accordingly. Ideally find ones that are 4-5inches would give you a much better idea of what to expect as they mature.

Here is some photos of him on the old sand substrate. Since the new substrate when it recently I haven't got updated photos. I will try and get a couple this weekend to show you the difference.

But as you can see his earlier photos doesn't show any indications of how he will develop. Even now at 5 months old I doubt he is showing 50% of his potential. I think he will still look completely different as a full sized adult. What you can clearly see is that he has some very long fins for a fish his size. Keep in mind i got him at the beginning of OCT 2016 (maybe 2-2.5" at the time)

005ad71ee08fb377ab85dd1cba4b8940.jpg

20161009_161412.jpg

20161009_161523.jpg

20161009_161544.jpg

be1c9e3eef0e933965aff1d293110f35.jpg

IMG_20170210_221504.jpg

IMG_20170210_222058.jpg

Last edited:
Reactions: Vukmir13 and jvc66

Athletic_Amph

Polypterus
MFK Member
Mar 18, 2016
Branford, CT
Going to have to agree with Stanzzzz on this one, properly cared for Rivs (fish in general...) will show the best colors - with genetics being the base or platform for those colors to be derived from

I'm also going for a harem and keeping a group together... they are currently over a natural colored river stone substrate and they all look great (they are wild caught, so genetically there should be no issues like inbred, line-bred, etc). Also, I painted the background of the tank black; which I believe helps with their colors as well

here's the link to my thread if you'd like to get an idea:
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/ecuadorian-green-terror-group.678434/

Reactions: Stanzzzz7 and jvc66

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
I currently have 100 lbs of pool filter sand in my 90 that I am saving which will most likely be used in the new tank. I really do love the natural look with this type of specimen. I guess my next tank after this will be black sand since this one was supposed to be until I decided on the green terrors lol.

But I will be ordering my guys from Jeff Rapps since hes is a little over an hour away from me so I know I will have good quality coming from him

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
Some fish will show better colours over a dark substrate. Having said that, healthy well fed rivulatus kept in clean water should shine regardless of substrate colour.
Obtaining decent stock is the most important factor with this species. Good genetics is the biggest influence of bold colouration with these cichlids and a darker substrate won't have that much effect on their overall appearance.
If it were me I would source some good specimens and go for as natural looking scape as possible.
I am going to agree with you here. I am going to have a black background so I think it will help make them pop

Going to have to agree with Stanzzzz on this one, properly cared for Rivs (fish in general...) will show the best colors - with genetics being the base or platform for those colors to be derived from

I'm also going for a harem and keeping a group together... they are currently over a natural colored river stone substrate and they all look great (they are wild caught, so genetically there should be no issues like inbred, line-bred, etc). Also, I painted the background of the tank black; which I believe helps with their colors as well

here's the link to my thread if you'd like to get an idea:
https://www.monsterfishkeepers.com/forums/threads/ecuadorian-green-terror-group.678434/
been following your thread. You have some good looking fish! I guess I was just looking for something to possibly sway me to the black sand but I was going to go with the natural look.

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

cichla81

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 9, 2008
heaven is my home
I agree that the genetics of the fish play the most important role of the fish' coloring but there is a reason why diamond distributors put their diamonds against a black back ground, contrast to the eye. I don't like black sand as it doesn't look natural but it does make the fishes coloration stand out more. In my experience with cichlids, painting the back of the tank black with a dark substrate deepens their coloring.

Stanzzzz7

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 26, 2015
Uk
I think the black background is a good contrast to most cichlids colours.Im just not a fan of black sand.
I'm sure it is natural to some fish somewhere, normally volcanic areas.
Generally most cichlids are found over rocks,beige/white sand, and leaf litter.I don't think you can beat nature.

Reactions: Athletic_Amph

jvc66

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Jul 10, 2015
NJ
I think the black background is a good contrast to most cichlids colours.Im just not a fan of black sand.
I'm sure it is natural to some fish somewhere, normally volcanic areas.
Generally most cichlids are found over rocks,beige/white sand, and leaf litter.I don't think you can beat nature.
nope thats why I think my pool filter sand will fit in nicely

DarylMac

Piranha
MFK Member
Oct 22, 2016
I'm quite pleased with my black background and pool filter sand in my Rivulatus tank.

I'm biased, but I think my GT's look fantastic! Especially my male.

I've posted a bunch of photos in my 135g renewal thread if you want to check them out.

It was yet another tank inspired by Stanzzzz!

Reactions: Stanzzzz7
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store