Best fish for top view only tank?

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Me and my sons have always admired these in when we come across them in a LFS, but they are supposed to be pretty aggressive right? I generally try to avoid fish that need an entire tank dedicated to themselves.

I've been lucky though - I've got a big ol' zebra tilapia (buttikoferi) named buddha that is living peacefully in my cichlid community tank and they have a pretty mean reputation. I've failed more often than I've been successful in getting mean fish to get along, I've had to trade away quite a few flower horns in my attempts to get a peaceful one.

Maybe one day I'll consider a lionfish :)
Lionfish are predatory, not aggressive, I've kept them with tangs, surgeonfish, triggerfish and snowflake eels

Reactions: tlindsey

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
Me and my sons have always admired these in when we come across them in a LFS, but they are supposed to be pretty aggressive right? I generally try to avoid fish that need an entire tank dedicated to themselves.

I've been lucky though - I've got a big ol' zebra tilapia (buttikoferi) named buddha that is living peacefully in my cichlid community tank and they have a pretty mean reputation. I've failed more often than I've been successful in getting mean fish to get along, I've had to trade away quite a few flower horns in my attempts to get a peaceful one.

Maybe one day I'll consider a lionfish :)
Lionfish are predatory, not aggressive, I've kept them with tangs, surgeonfish, triggerfish and snowflake eels

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
Sweet tank. I second the lionfish idea. There are plenty of smaller varieties too like mombasa that would work well in that tank. Plenty of tankmate options too. Just nothing small of course.

Reactions: tlindsey

djohnson3

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2018
So the consensus seems to be that I should go with a dwarf lionfish :D
I still want the banded serpent star because it's awesome.
And the saddle puffer is also really cool.
I know I could Google it, but are they all compatible?
I really want an eel too, but from reading it looks like they escape as much as freshwater eels, so that is out of the question with an open tank.
Going to get some mushroom corals and Kenya trees.
The dragon gobys are cool, but I'm going to have to read it they are escape artists too.
I like the pencil urchins they look cool, and bonus if they don't sting.

If I had all of that, would you guys consider it fully stocked? I'm not sure how much life I can cram into 100 gallons of salt water lol.

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

J. H.

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2016
Wow. Beautiful. They get really big, though. You catch 'em when fishing for blues, and they can be over 2'.
I looked online. They say they don't grow over 16". Everything is bigger when you catch it on a line :)

Reactions: Deadliestviper7

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
So the consensus seems to be that I should go with a dwarf lionfish :D
I still want the banded serpent star because it's awesome.
And the saddle puffer is also really cool.
I know I could Google it, but are they all compatible?
I really want an eel too, but from reading it looks like they escape as much as freshwater eels, so that is out of the question with an open tank.
Going to get some mushroom corals and Kenya trees.
The dragon gobys are cool, but I'm going to have to read it they are escape artists too.
I like the pencil urchins they look cool, and bonus if they don't sting.

If I had all of that, would you guys consider it fully stocked? I'm not sure how much life I can cram into 100 gallons of salt water lol.
Saddleback may kill your stars.
All lionfish will kill your damsels.

Pencil urchins don't sting.
Perhaps look into a butterfly gurnard or eyed gurnard as a lionfish substitute

Backfromthedead

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Jul 12, 2017
Fredericksburg va
I looked online. They say they don't grow over 16". Everything is bigger when you catch it on a line :)
While they may not get 2' long, i would say the pec spines on the larger lions can easily span 2'. One of those fish thats actually wider than it is long.

But theres definitely a lot of smaller varieties.

And to the op, nothing half the size or smaller will work with a lion. Theyre sneaky nocturnal ambushers with big mouths.

Reactions: J. H.

FESHMAN

Polypterus
MFK Member
Sep 14, 2015
Q8
I suggest a blue spotted ribbontail ray, they are pretty and from what I've read they don't get huge.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store