BEst fish to breed for FEEDERS?

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
And also, Am i supposed to just take out all the fry? how so? turkey baster? i have no idea.. im obviously new at this... I do have an Extra 10 gallon kickin around..

Peanut_Power

Running From The Hammer...
MFK Member
Jul 6, 2005
BannedVille
www.monsterfishkeepers.com
Super easy to sex them bro, females will have a pink/reddish belly. Kinda in stripes, vertically, just behind the pectoral fin. Males don't have this. Generally the females will be smaller as well. They should be able to start breeding at around 2"...although I've seen them start at 1.5". Once they start though its practically impossible to get them to stop.

Wait for the fry to become free swimmin (two to four days after they hatch), then start puttin crushed flake food into the tank a couple of times a day. The parents will watch over the little ball of babies as they swarm around the tank and eat. Very kewl to watch. Good luck gettin them out. Best way would be to siphone them out, cuz when they see danger they duck into the rocks.

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
So convicts wil NOT eat there babies? thats weird i fgured they would be cannibal piscivores... but who knows... so also if i wanted to siphon out the babies would it be easier for me to have a snaded bottom, with only a fine layer... and just with some rocks for shelter/mating grounds?:popcorn:

HiGhTiMeZ

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Feb 26, 2006
Montreal, Canada
www.friendster.com
Convicts WILL NOT eat their own frys UNKLIKE the livebearers.
Cichlids, normally will protect and take very good care of their fry.
u dont have to take out the free swimming fries, they'd be better with their parents.

AquataHolic420

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Sep 20, 2006
Neeeew Hampshaaa
Thanks, good to know.. can't wait until i can setup my operation... whats the best size to grow em too? then feed em to my PEts..? should i take out a batch of fry to perhaps speed up the Convicts into producing more faster? how long does it take them to grow to an inch.. roughly my desired feeder size...:eek:

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store