Best food for discus?

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015
Let me hear some of your suggestions for your discus. I have some juvenile discus that are pigs. I'd like a healthier diet for them like a mix of foods and some good nutrients for them. Any ideas?

joe jaskot

Dovii
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2011
Clifton, NJ
Variety is best - beef heart (finely ground or sliced), mysis shrimp, blackworms, good quality flake food (high in protein), etc. Small fish should be fed at least 3 times per day. However, stay on top of water quality especially when feeding beef heart.

typicalalex1

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 9, 2011
England, Kent
When i kept Discus, i would feed them Tetra Discus as a staple, though i have read recently that most tetra foods aren't that good.
As a treat, they would get blackworms and beef heart. The beef heart makes a mess so like Joe said, water quality needs to be maintained.

I was always told to avoid frozen foods (Shrimp, blood worms etc) as Discus can pick up parasites from them easily.

Andrew101

Gambusia
MFK Member
Nov 15, 2015
When i kept Discus, i would feed them Tetra Discus as a staple, though i have read recently that most tetra foods aren't that good.
As a treat, they would get blackworms and beef heart. The beef heart makes a mess so like Joe said, water quality needs to be maintained.

I was always told to avoid frozen foods (Shrimp, blood worms etc) as Discus can pick up parasites from them easily.
I feed mine sometimes pellets for cichlids and discus and mostly frozen bloodworms and a little bit of the frozen Cubs of beef heart they usually eat the beef heart before it goes to the gravel. And if it does they pick it up off the gravel

moneygetter1

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 2, 2005
NYC
:cool: There are a number of different things you can choose to diversify your discus' diet. Mine is a bit extreme (OCD) lol, but the choices are many. My food varies every couple a days - live blackworms, Hans frozen beef mix, San Fran Bay Frozen Bloodworms, Mysis Shrimp, Ocean Nutrition Discus Flakes, Als Austrailian freeze dried blackworms, O.S.I. Spirulina Flakes, NLS Discus Formula pellets & Dainichi Cichlid - Color FX + Vita-Chem once a week. "T"

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store