best foods for snakeheads

Blkpiranha

Polypterus
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2007
I wasn't looking for advice on bloat I was contributing experience as per topic and what works for me! Pretty much done contributing anything on this site anymore! You might as well clean up the thread now that it's off topic.

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
I believe the intent of creating MFK was so that hobbyists with like interests could share their experiences & knowledge base. When I see misleading or flat out incorrect information being bantered around, to the best of my ability I will usually attempt to correct that information so that those same mistakes aren't repeated in the future. It's my small way of giving back to a hobby that has given so much to me over the years.

I'm fairly well versed on the subject of bloat, and cichlids, and actually have a few different threads that were made stickies by the admin/mods on MFK in both preventing bloat, and treating it using a rather unique method. (a 3% oral administration of magnesium sulfate) I have helped save a LOT of fish on MFK using this method, and prevented future bloat issues by helping fellow members better understand the various causes/triggers of bloat.

I also added directly to the topic of feeding snakeheads, with some advice that I thought was well worth mentioning for those who only feed frozen. As in supplementing with liquid vitamins to avoid any potential vitamin & trace mineral deficiencies, and also help boost the overall immune system of ones fish. I also mentioned that I feed pellets to my snakeheads. I guess you missed all of that?

This was only a big deal, because for whatever reason you decided to make it a big deal.

Chub_by

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Jan 30, 2012
Europe
Blkpiranha... I don't always agree with what RD. Posts, and I agree that sometimes his style of writing is a bit controversial or even provocative. But in the answer he gave you about your Haitians, all I could make out was helpful advice, paired with good arguments. There was absolutely no reason for you to react like you did. Let's keep this childish behaviour out of MFK. As RD said, we're all just here to share and recieve useful information and to see some monster fish. :)

Sent from my MK16i using Tapatalk App

Miguel

Ole Dawg
MFK Member
Dec 28, 2006
Very much south..
A tottally uncalled for tone, BlkPiranha! This is no way, under any theory whatosever, to participate in a public forum.
I wasn't looking for advice on bloat I was contributing experience as per topic and what works for me! Pretty much done contributing anything on this site anymore! You might as well clean up the thread now that it's off topic.
You do as you wish, BlckPiranha. It is a pity you geel that way, but you do as you wish..

JayP

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Feb 23, 2012
Nova Scotia Canada
So really it is not good to raise your channa on say frozen bloodworms, (live) meal worms, krill, and occasionally guppy's,minnows s live feeders ?

RD.

Gold Tier VIP
MFK Member
May 9, 2007
Northwest Canada
Bloodworms are an overall poor source of nutrients, but there's nothing wrong with feeding an assortment of live/frozen. I personally just find a premium high quality pellet to offer more balanced nutrition. Due to the potential of pathogens found on LFS feeders I would avoid them like the plague, but one can certainly breed & grow their own out for food. You can also get extra nutrient content into live food by gut loading them with a quality commercial food right before feeding to your fish.

novice84

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 14, 2013
United Kingdom
Hello everyone :) ive only kept channa for a few years, i have found with my channa a mixed diet works well, i no longer use feeder fish as the local supply is tainted with disease and the channa become too fussy and wont accept dried foods.
foods my channa get, LIVE foods, earthworm, mealworm, crickets, spiders, all insects about the house.
FROZEN foods squid, rudd, white bait.
DRY foods hikari masivore delite, hikari cichlid gold, tetra prima :)

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store