best knifefish for 125 gallon tank

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
Knives don't deal well with nippy fish in general, in my experience they're quite easily bullied by other fish.
I agree with this completely, and tiger barbs are on the extreme end of the nippy side. I truly think they would eventually shred a black ghost knife. Roseline sharks and congo tetras would make much better tankmates if a BGK owner wanted to put a shoaling fish with the knife. The tetras are very beautiful, and the colors on the male congo tetra really adds to the the tank especially when you get a large group of say a dozen or more that school together. Roseline sharks also look very nice (though, in my opinion, not as nice as the congo tetras) when they school together and they get to a nice size at around 5-6 inches. I'm not saying that the OP would necessarily like these fish, but it's something he could look into if he hasn't yet as either of these would be far more preferable than the tiger barbs in terms of compatibility with the knife.

Last edited:

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
I agree with this completely, and tiger barbs are on the extreme end of the nippy side. I truly think they would eventually shred a black ghost knife. Roseline sharks and congo tetras would make much better tankmates if a BGK owner wanted to put a shoaling fish with the knife. The tetras are very beautiful, and the colors on the male congo tetra really adds to the the tank especially when you get a large group of say a dozen or more that school together. Roseline sharks also look very nice (though, in my opinion, not as nice as the congo tetras) when they school together and they get to a nice size at around 5-6 inches. I'm not saying that the OP would necessarily like these fish, but it's something he could look into if he hasn't yet as either of these would be far more preferable than the tiger barbs in terms of compatibility with the knife.
i just really like how the barbs look when schooling, ill have to find a new tank mate, do you think my knife would be fine with the pair of ebjd? i plan to do white substrate with a large piece of driftwood, a few clown loaches, a rare pleco of some sort, the bgk and the two ebjd

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
i just really like how the barbs look when schooling, ill have to find a new tank mate, do you think my knife would be fine with the pair of ebjd? i plan to do white substrate with a large piece of driftwood, a few clown loaches, a rare pleco of some sort, the bgk and the two ebjd
The clown loaches would be great with the knife. I've kept them together everytime I've owned a BGK with no problems at all. As far as the cichlids you've chosen, it's a very slim chance of that working out. They would most likely be too aggressive for the knife singly, and even moreso if the two JDs become a breeding pair.

You said earlier that you plan on upgrading to a 180 gallon, right? If you do that, would you also be able to keep the 125 and have two tanks? You could keep the cichlids in the 125 and the knife in the 180. Afterwards, you could stock around each fish in their respective tanks (though the EBJD probably would not tolerate any other fish in the 125 if they became a breeding pair.)

That said, I wouldn't keep any knife fish with a breeding pair of cichlids. They would be too hyper-aggressive for the knife. Cichlids I'd recommend that could work with a BGK as long as they don't form a breeding pair (from my own personal experience) are severums, uarus, and geophagus. Cichlids I haven't tried with a BGK, but I would expect to work would include keyhole cichlids, bolivian rams, and maybe discus. Again, I would only recommend cichlids with a knife fish as long as you don't get a m/f breeding pair.

Personally, I am a severum fanatic. They are my favorite cichlids. Whenever I get rid of the fish in my 300 gallon to start over, I always buy a group of small severums and grow them out in my 55 gallon until I can determine the gender of the cichlids (I actually do this with any group of cichlids I own be it severums, blood-red parrots, geophagus, or uarus). Once I work out whether the fishes are boys or girls, I then choose one gender to keep as a group for my 300 gallon, and I either sell the others or return them to the pet store for store credit. I will never keep a breeding pair of cichlids because of their hyper-aggression. I also include either a clown knife or a BGK everytime I restock my tank.

Another thing you may consider if you are dead set on having the two EBJD is setting up a 75 gallon for just the two of them. If you want to just go with a single EBJD, then I'd say keep it in the 125 and choose tankmates to compliment it. However, even singly, I would not keep a BGK with any JD variant.

Lastly, with regards to the pleco, I had a bristlenose with one of my black ghost knives in the past. They got along well enough, but the pleco was definitely dominant over the knife in that case even when the BGK grew bigger than the pleco. So, choose a pleco with care. I wouldn't get a particularly huge or aggressive species of pleco with a BGK.

Last edited:
Reactions: huntery18

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
The clown loaches would be great with the knife. I've kept them together everytime I've owned a BGK with no problems at all. As far as the cichlids you've chosen, it's a very slim chance of that working out. They would most likely be too aggressive for the knife singly, and even moreso if the two JDs become a breeding pair.

You said earlier that you plan on upgrading to a 180 gallon, right? If you do that, would you also be able to keep the 125 and have two tanks? You could keep the cichlids in the 125 and the knife in the 180. Afterwards, you could stock around each fish in their respective tanks (though the EBJD probably would not tolerate any other fish in the 125 if they became a breeding pair.)

That said, I wouldn't keep any knife fish with a breeding pair of cichlids. They would be too hyper-aggressive for the knife. Cichlids I'd recommend that could work with a BGK as long as they don't form a breeding pair (from my own personal experience) are severums, uarus, and geophagus. Cichlids I haven't tried with a BGK, but I would expect to work would include keyhole cichlids, bolivian rams, and maybe discus. Again, I would only recommend cichlids with a knife fish as long as you don't get a m/f breeding pair.

Personally, I am a severum fanatic. They are my favorite cichlids. Whenever I get rid of the fish in my 300 gallon to start over, I always buy a group of small severums and grow them out in my 55 gallon until I can determine the gender of the cichlids (I actually do this with any group of cichlids I own be it severums, blood-red parrots, geophagus, or uarus). Once I work out whether the fishes are boys or girls, I then choose one gender to keep as a group for my 300 gallon, and I either sell the others or return them to the pet store for store credit. I will never keep a breeding pair of cichlids because of their hyper-aggression. I also include either a clown knife or a BGK everytime I restock my tank.

Another thing you may consider if you are dead set on having the two EBJD is setting up a 75 gallon for just the two of them. If you want to just go with a single EBJD, then I'd say keep it in the 125 and choose tankmates to compliment it. However, even singly, I would not keep a BGK with any JD variant.

Lastly, with regards to the pleco, I had a bristlenose with one of my black ghost knives in the past. They got along well enough, but the pleco was definitely dominant over the knife in that case even when the BGK grew bigger than the pleco. So, choose a pleco with care. I wouldn't get a particularly huge or aggressive species of pleco with a BGK.
i definitely appreciate the thought out response, currently i have a 45 gallon tank w jd and a 10 gal hospital for two juv ebjd i took in rough, so knowing jd wont go with bgk would a peacock bass if raised together? keeping in mind i will be upgrading tanks before size becomes an issue? i wish i could put a stingray in but dimension wise just wont work. im looking for some cool unique fish if you have suggestions

TheEelKing

Piranha
MFK Member
Feb 22, 2010
Earth
i definitely appreciate the thought out response, currently i have a 45 gallon tank w jd and a 10 gal hospital for two juv ebjd i took in rough, so knowing jd wont go with bgk would a peacock bass if raised together? keeping in mind i will be upgrading tanks before size becomes an issue? i wish i could put a stingray in but dimension wise just wont work. im looking for some cool unique fish if you have suggestions
Never kept a peacock bass, but I think it would be a really bad combo. The bass are very predatory, they would quickly outgrow the BGK, and they have large mouths. I would think they could swallow the much smaller BGK if they don't simply kill it before they get to that size.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a BGK with anything more aggressive than a severum. Others may disagree with me, though.

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Never kept a peacock bass, but I think it would be a really bad combo. The bass are very predatory, they would quickly outgrow the BGK, and they have large mouths. I would think they could swallow the much smaller BGK if they don't simply kill it before they get to that size.

Personally, I wouldn't trust a BGK with anything more aggressive than a severum. Others may disagree with me, though.
Most would agree with you. Pbass grow too quick and will easily make a meal out of a bgk. Can try severums, geos, jurupira, rams, saxatalis pikes (depends) and dwarf pikes and other safe cichlids.

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
Most would agree with you. Pbass grow too quick and will easily make a meal out of a bgk. Can try severums, geos, jurupira, rams, saxatalis pikes (depends) and dwarf pikes and other safe cichlids.
after doing some thinking i agree with you both that in no way would a bgk work with a pb in the long run, so what im thinking is 7 or 8 clown loaches a bgk and im lost there idk what else, id like another semi big fish like maybe (max size 7-8 inches) im very picky on what i do and dont like sadly, the only schoolers i have found that i like are tiger barbs and i was informed that wouldnt work so now onto find a new alternative along with a centerpiece

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
after doing some thinking i agree with you both that in no way would a bgk work with a pb in the long run, so what im thinking is 7 or 8 clown loaches a bgk and im lost there idk what else, id like another semi big fish like maybe (max size 7-8 inches) im very picky on what i do and dont like sadly, the only schoolers i have found that i like are tiger barbs and i was informed that wouldnt work so now onto find a new alternative along with a centerpiece
Tiger barbs and bgks can work. The bgk has to be big and plenty of hiding spots. The other is option is try some roselike barbs, Congo tetras, or glass tetras. There are options out there. What I’ve mentined isnt as nippy and will school well. Try and find a large/larger bgk.

huntery18

Candiru
MFK Member
Nov 12, 2018
Tiger barbs and bgks can work. The bgk has to be big and plenty of hiding spots. The other is option is try some roselike barbs, Congo tetras, or glass tetras. There are options out there. What I’ve mentined isnt as nippy and will school well. Try and find a large/larger bgk.
i just hate to put something in there that will make him hide any more they they do already, i looked at what you suggested just doesnt quite match the theme i like, thank you though, my local lfs (petsmart) sells them for $20 for 3-4 inchers

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store