Best med for fish lice

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
8.25 mg of dimilim, per 75 gallons.
It probably won't kill the adults directly, but (in the same manner as salt kills larval ick) Dimiin will kill the juvie stages. And like ick, the life cycle takes time (depending on particular species of louse), up to 3 months, it is (like ick) also temp dependent..
I have read, that the female louse prefers to lay eggs on wood, so by placing a piece of wood in the tank as a place to deposit eggs in the night, then removing it, and sanitizing it daily , the population is more quickly depleted.
Bleach, or boiling would be my choses of sanitizing.
Im a little confused on the dosing. So it says apply again in 3 to 5 days but only 3 treatments per month. Would you follow this for 3 months ?

ReApEr666

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Dec 15, 2018
I always use dimilin... its by no means an "overnight" treatment but it does work eventually. Ive used it in tanks with rays for 5-6yrs now. Ive read its still safe even at 30x the dosage. I usually do the recommended dosage for a week then hit it up again a week or two later with double or triple the dosage. Usually all clear in a month... sometimes it does take 1-3 months like duanes noted also. Despite its speediness to cure/curb the problem, its very safe to use on all fish IME even rays. Never saw any lack of appetite or behavior change during the process.

jaws7777

Probation Member
Probation Member
Mar 1, 2014
White house 1600 Pennsylvania Ave NW, Washington
Thx for the advice fellas. We'll see how it goes. 1st does was last night

Reactions: Matteus

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
If you caught them early you might be ok just picking off any adults.
When I got a black Moore a couple years ago it had a louse on it. I took it off and kept and eye out for more. Never saw another one since.

Reactions: Matteus

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Ugh, yep. I’ve delt with those guys too. Tweezers and bio bandage. Though I did dose my pond with microbelift for anchor worm and lice that time around. It took a few weeks of treatment + removing adults to get rid of them all.

Reactions: LBDave
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store