Best place for true Altum angels?

Wjugolfer99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2019
Really looking to add 6 Altums to my 110G discus show tank, preferably Atabapo as I hear they are a little rarer and I like the veils on them. Id take Orinoco too though if the fish and seller is right though. Ive seen Wattley sell them but his shipping is $110, I also have seen Mrytle beach discus have Orinoco but not so sure about them.

fishguy1978

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Mar 30, 2020
Washington
Tangled Up has angels on occasion.

Reactions: Wjugolfer99

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
I am an Altum keeper. I have kept Atabapos. When I brought them in the tank was pH 4.2 and the TDS were om the 20-30 ppm range. I have an RO?DI unit.

If you are serious about keeping altums I would suggest you join the Finarama site. Some of the best Altum people in the world can be found there.

There is a member there who worked with the senior Admin, and he has been spawning angels in the states for some time. I have som eof his fish, these do must better in tap than imports. He breeds the Atabapos. There are acouple of other members on the site who have managed to spawn Altums. Such people are very rare. I could not do it and would not even bother to try.

Also, that site often knows who has what for sale re Altums.

Wjugolfer99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2019
I am an Altum keeper. I have kept Atabapos. When I brought them in the tank was pH 4.2 and the TDS were om the 20-30 ppm range. I have an RO?DI unit.

If you are serious about keeping altums I would suggest you join the Finarama site. Some of the best Altum people in the world can be found there.

There is a member there who worked with the senior Admin, and he has been spawning angels in the states for some time. I have som eof his fish, these do must better in tap than imports. He breeds the Atabapos. There are acouple of other members on the site who have managed to spawn Altums. Such people are very rare. I could not do it and would not even bother to try.

Do you have pictures of yours? Yes I have a 7 stage 200 gallon per day rodi and do my discus water changes using rodi. I’m a hardcore coral farmer who specializes in High end and rare corals and mostly acropora I have a 650 gallon system so I use a lot of rodi water lol. My ph is at 6.2, not really looking to breed them just keep them as showfish.

Reactions: DrownedFishonFire

Wjugolfer99

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 18, 2019

Just signed up over there

FishKing5

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 24, 2013
United States
Most the wild altums are acclimated to tap water. I believe angelfishusa might have some. I’m not a huge fan of wattley but you can try him out.

TwoTankAmin

Aimara
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2008
New York
it is not easy to acclimate wild angels to tap water. However, there are a few folks around the world who are managing to spawn them. Tank raised Altums are way more hardy that wild caughts. My first load were all dead in about three weeks. I learned then I needed to create a brand new tank for them. I could not use anything taken from another established tank.

Fish which come out of such acid waters have an edge relative to bacteria diseases. Many bacteria cannot live in acid waters. So the Altums may niot have any real immunity to some things. The stress of foing into radically different parameters can also mean radically diffferent diseases/parasites may await them and further, what they bring in will be pretty alien in respect to aquarium life.

Next, at the point I started with Altums one of the biggest issues was with the importers. When the came in they went into water not at the proper parameters and not isolated from pother potential problems. So what we keepers were able to get were not in the best of shape. They were extremely hard to keep alive. The staff at Finarama worked with a few importers and even exporters to try to remedy the problems. There was a certain amount of success and over time the survival rate for some imports got much better.

The Altums I now have are tank bred in the USA, They are pretty fish and a lot more hardy than wild imports. The one thing I will never have but wich I want more than any Altums are the ones bred by Simon Forkel in Germany. If you have not seen either of the following vids, the second one is shot mostly at his facility, The fish are so lovely it almost makes one cry. They should be watched in order.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store