Best places to get freshwater puffers in NJ

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
You can look up monster aquaria I think it's up around there. What kind are you looking for?

I know you didn't ask but I highly recommend exoticfishshop along with wetspot. I couldn't be happier with the puffers I've bought over the yrs. No regrets on shipping charges

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Just an FYI, the Spotted Congo puffer and Pustalutus are not going yo be cheap fish to buy... Especially since Spotted Congos like being in groups, so you may find yourself getting 3 or more which adds to the cost... last time i saw spotted congos they were around USD $200 - $250 a piece...

Amazon Puffers (C.Asellus) while not as expensive, also like also being in groups, only catch here is they are known to have overgrown teeth issues which may require manual trimming so be aware of that...

Finally, the MBU and largest of freshwater puffers, they need seriously large tanks to be happy long term, so the fact you put “cheap” infront of MBU is a bit contradicting, since their needs and food bill etc will be far from cheap long term...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
Might have to wait for other US members to chime in for price, but this would probably be close to what you can expect to pay:

Pustalatus: USD $700-1500+

Spotted congo: USD $150 - 300+

MBU: around USD $100-300+?

Amazon Puffers: around USD $25+?

Not too sure about the last two as i dont live in the US, but the price for Cross River and Spotted should be pretty close...

Fat Homer

Mmmmm... Doughnuts
Staff member
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2009
----
By any chance do you know were to fijnd amazon puffers
As with most puffers, they can be rather seasonal, normally i think its around this time of year or maybe a little later in the summer that they should start showing up...

Again, you’ll probably want some of the US members to chime in for better info, but can always try places like Aquabid or maybe people like Wes from Rare Fish...

krichardson

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2006
Datnoid Island
The Aquarium Center in Blackwood NJ used to have a nice selection of puffers when they were at their previous location.They have less tanks now at their current location but they may still bring in different puffer species.

Reactions: Fat Homer
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store