best rock deco for tang tank

ukpoduk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2006
uk
hi, im looking at setting a tang tank, i have decided to use silver sand mixed with some crushed coral for substance but wanted to know whats the best type of rock to use?,
i was thinking of red lava rock but unsure , please advise.. thanks

bolty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2006
salisbury (UK)
i use red lavalock with my tangs and they do fine, my brichardi have layed on them and the synos hang out under/over them so if you like it go 4it, i also use it in my malawi set-up along with coral sand, plus lava rock is nice and light so you can pile it up in the tank

ukpoduk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2006
uk
i found a post on another site that said lava rock could damage the mouths of some fish due to it being rough , is this possible or are the risks minamal ?
thanks very much for your reply

Oddball

Administrator
Staff member
Administrator
MFK Member
Apr 27, 2005
Bama
Tangs, like Tropheus, graze by scraping rock. Lava rock can hurt them. I use Texas holey rock, cretaceous fossil blocks, quarried coral base rock, lace rock, moose/elk/deer antlers, and aragonite in my tanganyikan tanks. It all keeps the pH up for the tangs and doesn't hurt them.

bolty

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 4, 2006
salisbury (UK)
mine have no damage and the fish are doing fine in there!

i have a trio of fronts
2x calvus
2x Compressiceps
4x brichardi
1x tang syno
6x ? syno's

the best pics i have and you can (maby LoL) see the fish are good shape as in the body and mouth.

my fronts are the 1's that pick of off the rock the most, i have not had Tropheus but i no they will have more mouth to rock than any of mine

each to there own... . . . and im staying with the red rock:thumbsup:

ukpoduk

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 10, 2006
uk
well ive cleaned my tank out and put the sand and crushed corla in , and have bought some ocean rock and lava rock , i will be just puttiong in the ocean rock first then if needed i will add the lava rock , thanks every one for your thoughts

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store