Best Sand ever!!

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Ha,ha," Come on guys we are going to Canada to sneak out some duty free Sandastik aquarium sand. Let's visit a strip bar, while we are there up there. They can, you know strip all the way."
On the way back through the border. " Anything to report? "
"Uh, uh, why no officer, we no notching to report. Nada. "
"Why is the car so tipped and leaning to to the back? And why are the back tires almost flat?''.
" Uh uh, bad shocks aeh Officer? And I'm sorry, I keep meaning to fill those back tires, with air officer, they got a slow leak."
" Both tires at the same time is it.?"
"Why yes, that's it officer."
"Could you please open the trunk?"
"But why officer? Well, okay."
"Could please step this way Gentleman. And tell me what this? "
"Told you this was bad idea!"
"Shut up, at least you got to see the strippers"
"Yah, I think the one liked me."
"How can you tell they had masks on, and that's all they had on."
"Now please be quiet. Hello Mom. They stopped us at the border. Can you call Uncle Harold the lawyer. Yeah they stopped us at border. They are going to fine us and confuscated all my beautful Sandtastik Carribean Mist Beach Sand to sand their roads with when it snows. Send money Mom, they don't take American express. No Mom I don't send an apple pie. You don't think they can get me for bribing an officer with a pie do you? Ok Ma send the pie. Yeah, yeah, I love you too, you're an angel."

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I saw the deeper greens also but went more "moss" color because my biggest Parrot is flourescent pink...that color is for her tank...she'd look too washed out with a deep color. The blue will complement the bright orange parrot in the other tank. The third one will remain in the display tank with my baby O for now.

It does seem the manufacturers give you a maize of options to spend money, either through shipping or taxes. If you could ever get the right combination it would be ideal (or get some friends to drive the Canadian border!) I wonder if it's a brand thing. I will post pics with the other colors when the 40s are set up.
. I like your new thread, great topic matter. "Worst Tank You've Ever Seen.". My entry was Goldfish Shoes. Entry is third to the last...at this point. I didn't discover your new thread until late night yesterday when I was looking for a different thread I was following.
Your new thread seems to be going over like gangbusters.
I hope you were amused by the Canada Sandastik road trip. I was woke up by a MFK member last night at 3. It's okay. But I didn't sleep much after that, so this morning I was a little sleep rummy when you posted the idea of a Canada Sandtastik Sand Supply road grip. And you know the rest. Hey Vancouver B.C. road trips are fun. It's a great town to visit and party in. Friendly.

I will let you know when the Sandtastik sand arrives and is setup, photo and try to have posted. Contact me anytime.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
. I like your new thread, great topic matter. "Worst Tank You've Ever Seen.". My entry was Goldfish Shoes. Entry is third to the last...at this point. I didn't discover your new thread until late night yesterday when I was looking for a different thread I was following.
Your new thread seems to be going over like gangbusters.
I hope you were amused by the Canada Sandastik road trip. I was woke up by a MFK member last night at 3. It's okay. But I didn't sleep much after that, so this morning I was a little sleep rummy when you posted the idea of a Canada Sandtastik Sand Supply road grip. And you know the rest. Hey Vancouver B.C. road trips are fun. It's a great town to visit and party in. Friendly.

I will let you know when the Sandtastik sand arrives and is setup, photo and try to have posted. Contact me anytime.
I've seen some seriously ugly tanks...and not convinced some of those items aren't toxic people toss in there. Usually parents who think everything is 'cute' even when the water is white as milk and you can't see the fish.

Good sand "road trip" reminds me of the show "America's dumbest criminals" where the guy tried to pull an atm out of a wall with his small hatchback on a hook and chain. He got it out and dragged it on the street waking up the whole town with noise and sparks. His rear end was on the ground...cops arrested the fool in like 20 minutes.

I will be posting pics of the fish at some point. Will be glad to get Patch and Boss out of those small holding tanks. Parrots are messy like Oscars and keeping their water quality up is a challenge under those conditions. Hopefully the stands will arrive by Friday and I'll have the backgrounds in by Wed of this week.

Reactions: Fishflyer

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
I've seen some seriously ugly tanks...and not convinced some of those items aren't toxic people toss in there. Usually parents who think everything is 'cute' even when the water is white as milk and you can't see the fish.

Good sand "road trip" reminds me of the show "America's dumbest criminals" where the guy tried to pull an atm out of a wall with his small hatchback on a hook and chain. He got it out and dragged it on the street waking up the whole town with noise and sparks. His rear end was on the ground...cops arrested the fool in like 20 minutes.

I will be posting pics of the fish at some point. Will be glad to get Patch and Boss out of those small holding tanks. Parrots are messy like Oscars and keeping their water quality up is a challenge under those conditions. Hopefully the stands will arrive by Friday and I'll have the backgrounds in by Wed of this week.
I guess I didn't hear the notification . Crashed out with a nap. Pretty excited about the rest of the new set ups' arrival? I would be kind of look of looking forward it...oh l guess. ;) What took so long for each component to come? Did you order separately?

Are you using some of the water from your existing tank to "jumpstart" the biocycle? I did that with my new tank last month. Also I took the filter pad (sponge) from the new tank and put it into the an established tanks sand and rubbed it around to it picks up some of the beneficial bacteria, try to make sure the tanks temperatures are somewhat close. Next I would pile some of old seasoned substrata in a couple corners and center of the tank. You can use low plastic frozen dinner TRAYS or saucers, small plates ect. Then put some of your new substrata around the old substrata. Make sure there is some water in your tank. Use your old water first. An ornament or rock or 2 helps. Do this for 1-2 weeks and this greatly speed the maturity of your tank. My tanks usually cycle in 1-1½ week. Maybe you knew and were planning some of this, or not. The more of these steps you do, surprised how quickly your toxin levels go down and tank cycles. Good luck, excited for you.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
I guess I didn't hear the notification . Crashed out with a nap. Pretty excited about the rest of the new set ups' arrival? I would be kind of look of looking forward it...oh l guess. ;) What took so long for each component to come? Did you order separately?

Are you using some of the water from your existing tank to "jumpstart" the biocycle? I did that with my new tank last month. Also I took the filter pad (sponge) from the new tank and put it into the an established tanks sand and rubbed it around to it picks up some of the beneficial bacteria, try to make sure the tanks temperatures are somewhat close. Next I would pile some of old seasoned substrata in a couple corners and center of the tank. You can use low plastic frozen dinner TRAYS or saucers, small plates ect. Then put some of your new substrata around the old substrata. Make sure there is some water in your tank. Use your old water first. An ornament or rock or 2 helps. Do this for 1-2 weeks and this greatly speed the maturity of your tank. My tanks usually cycle in 1-1½ week. Maybe you knew and were planning some of this, or not. The more of these steps you do, surprised how quickly your toxin levels go down and tank cycles. Good luck, excited for you.
Got it covered...there's plenty of biomedia in my main tank filters plus I'm using the stones and sponge filters in the holding tanks...will probably mix a bit of the old sand too, plus the pothos plants are housing bacteria too. My backgrounds arrived today so all I'm waiting for are the stands. Boss and Patch will be happy. I'll be doing pics of all my fish...my baby O Brick has doubled in size and girth in less than a month. I'll measure him in another week or so at the one month mark.

Great looking backgrounds, only cost ten bucks altogether.

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Got it covered...there's plenty of biomedia in my main tank filters plus I'm using the stones and sponge filters in the holding tanks...will probably mix a bit of the old sand too, plus the pothos plants are housing bacteria too. My backgrounds arrived today so all I'm waiting for are the stands. Boss and Patch will be happy. I'll be doing pics of all my fish...my baby O Brick has doubled in size and girth in less than a month. I'll measure him in another week or so at the one month mark.
No doubt you have it well covered. I like your 2nd new thread and the catchy name. I told @ twentyleagues about your interesting and enjoyable new threads. "Dumbest Display Tank You Have Ever Seen" and "Greediest Fish.". He is going to check them out. They must keep you busy in your spare time. :)

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
No doubt you have it well covered. I like your 2nd new thread and the catchy name. I told @ twentyleagues about your interesting and enjoyable new threads. "Dumbest Display Tank You Have Ever Seen" and "Greediest Fish.". He is going to check them out. They must keep you busy in your spare time. :)
They do...these cichlids are the most amazing and interactive fish I've ever had..distinctive personalities too which I'll be delving into. There will be a profile thread once I get Boss and Patch set up.

I'm a creative person so maybe that's why my threads are a bit different. I usually think them up on the fly. Have one to post right now...

Fishflyer

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Nov 23, 2018
Sorry I did not see your latest posting until and did not know what time you went to bed.
Yes cichlids are very intelligent. You can look in their eyes and see some type of their perceptiveness and definitely recognition of you their keeper. In the MFK Spirit Lounge is an interesting topic posted by JH where he put in links to animal studies Including cichlids as to self awareness.
The title of the topic is ,"Fish and Mirrors- Smarter Than You Think?". Spirit Lounge is under the general heading of MFK Contests AND. It's not a contest. The link articles are highly, interesting, controversial, but not to me, because I have experienced some intelligent animals. Including elephants when I worked at the zoo, obviously chimpanzees, cats that open doors and recognize themselves in the mirror. Let alone my experiences with cichlids and other smart. I like smart fish, they accessorize my smart watch, smart phone and smart wardrobe. ;)
Feel free to post on my sand thread , To Sand or Not to Sand--about Sandtastik. More exposure, but I just put in some information about it there. Last page-8 I think. I had received more company information about the product. I will be putting a couple posts about Sandtastik myself in my sand thread about my experiences with it. I posted my experiences with CaribSea Torpedo Beach Sand. Others also put in their experiences with sand.

I am trying different sands, descriptions of them in the thread and putting in company claims about their product and my experiences with fulfillment of those claims. I have had the thread going for a while. It is a rather dry subject; until you add water...and fish.

As I follow your career here at MFK with great interest because of your at times mercurial yet sincere writing and topics of interest, I tried to find to your newest thread but could not to this point.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Sorry I did not see your latest posting until and did not know what time you went to bed.
Yes cichlids are very intelligent. You can look in their eyes and see some type of their perceptiveness and definitely recognition of you their keeper. In the MFK Spirit Lounge is an interesting topic posted by JH where he put in links to animal studies Including cichlids as to self awareness.
The title of the topic is ,"Fish and Mirrors- Smarter Than You Think?". Spirit Lounge is under the general heading of MFK Contests AND. It's not a contest. The link articles are highly, interesting, controversial, but not to me, because I have experienced some intelligent animals. Including elephants when I worked at the zoo, obviously chimpanzees, cats that open doors and recognize themselves in the mirror. Let alone my experiences with cichlids and other smart. I like smart fish, they accessorize my smart watch, smart phone and smart wardrobe. ;)
Feel free to post on my sand thread , To Sand or Not to Sand--about Sandtastik. More exposure, but I just put in some information about it there. Last page-8 I think. I had received more company information about the product. I will be putting a couple posts about Sandtastik myself in my sand thread about my experiences with it. I posted my experiences with CaribSea Torpedo Beach Sand. Others also put in their experiences with sand.

I am trying different sands, descriptions of them in the thread and putting in company claims about their product and my experiences with fulfillment of those claims. I have had the thread going for a while. It is a rather dry subject; until you add water...and fish.

As I follow your career here at MFK with great interest because of your at times mercurial yet sincere writing and topics of interest, I tried to find to your newest thread but could not to this point.
I know other creatures are intelligent, and that's my personal experience. Like humans, some are smarter than others. My other post involves quarantine of large snails it is in the general topics forum. I was thinking of apple snails and was looking for input on whether to "shop and plop" or quarantine.

There's also a minor revision to my plans for the 40s...Kong is coming out of the display tank and Boss is going in. Kong and Patch will have their own tanks. Brick is now getting large enough to be seen as a threat and now they're starting to squabble. No injuries, but Boss is more mellow and I think he'll work better with Brick in the long run.

FINWIN

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Dec 21, 2018
Washington DC
Boss is now in the main tank with Brick...Kong will be in one of the other tanks. A better tankmate for the baby O, Boss is more mellow and smaller. So of course Brick figured to take a couple of cheap shots but Boss isn't having it and pops him one . So Brick does the "dead leaf fallback". For the most part they shoal together without incident. I'll leave them to sort it out. Meanwhile, the backgrounds are up on the 40s.

20190108_182414.jpg

20190108_182434.jpg

Last edited:
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store