best snails for cichlid tanks?

sascythe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
northern ohio
Just want to know what are the best snails to buy for cichlid tanks. but i dont want something that will over run my tank either. and im very new to snails so any advice would help a lot thanks.

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
what kind of cichlids? Most snails that are not common (MTS usually work best) will not fair well with cichlids as their antenna really resemble tasty worms.

sd760

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 21, 2009
northern california
ya i was wondering the same thing. my oscar would for sure swallow a snail. are there large snails?

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
the issue isn't the snails size so much as the cichlids personality. If its a large cichlid that will want to eat snails, even a large one will have issues. They will get harassed, stop feeding, and die.

sascythe

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Oct 11, 2008
northern ohio
well i got all tanganyikan tanks so generally smaller species. and are malaysian trumpet snails or nerite snails allowed in ohio. and if nerite snails are in ohio how would you go about converting them from saltwater to freshwater because i have heard many people doing this.

msjinkzd

Fire Eel
MFK Member
Oct 2, 2007
pa
Tangs are a different story. You can keep nerites with them beautifully. I prefer for people to add zebra nerites, a larger algae eating species. They can work wonderfully together. Both MTS and nerites are legal in your state adn would be welcome additions to your tank.

Danger_Chicken

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
May 22, 2008
Baltimore
I keep ramshorn, MTS, and a large mystery snail with my frontosa without problems. My oscars will eat MTS and anything small enough to swallow - as msjinkzed said they harrass large snails like mystery snails.

swede

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2009
ןɟ 'opuɐןɹo ɹɐǝu
get some mts. they are virtually indestructible. I use them in my mbuna tank and theyre actually thriving. i have sand in there though so they have plenty of opps to hide out

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store