Best staple food for giant gourami

Kye0001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2018
Hi I’ve just reserved a giant gourami and I’m trying to do a bit of research and planning before I pick him up.

Tank, filtration etc is all covered. He’ll be a friend for my rescued rtc and eventually they’re gojng to live in a indoor pond.

I’m just trying to buy some pellet food for him as a staple food. Which is the best pellet food please? Also what are the best fruit and vegetables to add to his diet and how much should I give him please? He’s about 10” at the moment so only a baby.

Deadliestviper7

The Necromancer
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2016
The best vegetation would be of course aquatic plants, you can section off a area of the pond and raise aquatic plants and small dither fish,which can then be thrown in with other fish.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
In nature giant gouramis are known to feed on vegetation that overhangs their waters, including leaves and fallen fruit. In the Mekong in forested areas, you can sometimes see their heads poking out of the water grasping tree leaves, and fruit, so unlike some species that feed on only aquatic vegetation, you have some leeway with them.
I tried to stay away from animal (fish) based products as a major part of the diet with mine, and instead for protein, used thawed peas, and occasional shrimp based pellets food. The 3 I had could also polish off a head of romaine lettuce, or blanched broccolli in no time. And although they will tolerate less than optimum conditions, this type food was quite fibrous and so the fish produced copious amounts of waste, that I found needed to be removed to keep water quality high.

Kye0001

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Jun 5, 2018
Beautiful fish thanks for the info, I’ll order some of the NLS. He’ll get plenty of veg, salad, fruits and floating plants. I’ve got a lot of water lettuce growing in the tank anyway so he’s welcome to munch on that

Reactions: tlindsey

nigebc

Jack Dempsey
Jan 19, 2007
East Yorkshire
I mostly feed mine on fruit and veg. Peas (cooked and shelled), boiled carrots, peppers (soaked in boiled water for a min or 2), plums, peaches, kiwi fruit, nectarine. He eats better than I do. Had him about 10/11 years so far. If I haven't got time to feed him fresh stuff, I just feed him some koi pellets which I feed my outside fish.
Just been wondering what else to try him on so was doing a search and came across this thread so thought I'd reply. Hope yours is doing well

Sep 24, 2017
Pennsylvania
Yeah I'd agree with everybody else here, some sort of vegetable matter (duckweed, lettuce, deshelled peas, repashy super food etc.) and some sort of protein (brine shrimp, blood worms, earth worms, krill, possibly some pellets)

Htat

Plecostomus
MFK Member
May 25, 2015
My golden giant gourami only 3.5” right now- so what size he needs to feed vegetables? Thanks

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store