Best Stocking for my 1584Gal/6000liter tank

Clothsack

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
The Netherlands
I think pbass of at least 18" would be reasonable to try with a 2' TSN. What W13 is saying I think is that such communities are always a gamble, some safer some riskier.

wednesday13 wednesday13 The depth is ~4', not 3', which actually should help the bass stay out of the catfish's way a bit better.

With large predatory catfish and bass, things will happen sooner or later, more so with the catfish. So if this is a risk you can't take, you will have to abandon your TSN plan, I'd think... unless your TSN is housed with very large, disk-shaped fish such as pacu, giant gourami, the aforementioned Distichodus sexfasiatum, etc. It needs to have a very high back and be robust so it never fits in a catfish's mouth in any way, head first or tail first. Compared to these fish, pbass and perchiformes in general are more slender built. So are arowana. Most cyprinids too.

Truth be told, you'd probably be wiser to stay with less predatory and more slender catfish... such as vulture catfish, very pretty, active, and social, or Leiarius marmoratus or pictus, or with non-predatory catfish.
One of the major reasons im building this tank is to keep a large catfish such as TSN. Im willing to change everything arround it to make this work.

I dont necesarily need to keep Pbass but i tought it would be a decent option. But from understanding from different opinions Pbass would be risky and theres a high chance some of them may get devoured.

Im not sure if 2 TSN and 2 Black Pacu would work or 1 TSN and 3 Black Pacu. Or another combo of both...

Even if i would have to keep TSN by itself in the tank it would be good for me aswell. I love predatory catfish and i would be bummed if i couldent keep one.

pacu mom

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Jun 8, 2006
northern CA
One of the major reasons im building this tank is to keep a large catfish such as TSN. Im willing to change everything arround it to make this work.

I dont necesarily need to keep Pbass but i tought it would be a decent option. But from understanding from different opinions Pbass would be risky and theres a high chance some of them may get devoured.

Im not sure if 2 TSN and 2 Black Pacu would work or 1 TSN and 3 Black Pacu. Or another combo of both...

Even if i would have to keep TSN by itself in the tank it would be good for me aswell. I love predatory catfish and i would be bummed if i couldent keep one.
Black pacus can get 4' long, as opposed to red belly pacu that max out at about 3' Pacus are long lived fish and can live 30+ years with good water parameters. Most pacus are doomed to a poor life in miserable conditions. Fortunately, or unfortunately, they die at about two years of age in poor conditions. (Fortunate that they don't have to suffer for 30 years) There are not enough rescue places to take in all the pacu that outgrow their tanks. Please think long and hard about whether your tank will be adequate to house a 4' pacu for 30+ years and whether or not you are willing to make such a long term commitment. Pacu are not a fish that you can take back to the LFS and trade out for something else when something else catches your eye. These bright, friendly, interactive fish are truly doomed.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

Clothsack

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 15, 2017
The Netherlands
Black pacus can get 4' long, as opposed to red belly pacu that max out at about 3' Pacus are long lived fish and can live 30+ years with good water parameters. Most pacus are doomed to a poor life in miserable conditions. Fortunately, or unfortunately, they die at about two years of age in poor conditions. (Fortunate that they don't have to suffer for 30 years) There are not enough rescue places to take in all the pacu that outgrow their tanks. Please think long and hard about whether your tank will be adequate to house a 4' pacu for 30+ years and whether or not you are willing to make such a long term commitment. Pacu are not a fish that you can take back to the LFS and trade out for something else when something else catches your eye. These bright, friendly, interactive fish are truly doomed.
Thank you for your advise.

Im only trying to figure out what would be the ideal tank mates for a TSN. Now from what i understand is that keeping other fish with it is tricky and fish getting its most likely that some of them are getting devoured.

I really like Pacu and the commitment is not a issue. Im not the avarage joe who bring his fish back to the LFS or returns it because it isnt intresting anymore. The only way a animal leaves my place is when i have to burry it.

I never knew black Pacu could reach 4ft, and especcialy not in captivity. Something i got to look into. Red belly pacu might be a better option then... but i dont like them as much as the back pacu. So i might go a different route then. Or just Catfish only.

Reactions: thebiggerthebetter

thebiggerthebetter

Senior Curator
Staff member
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2009
Naples, FL, USA
Three entries from my database (3rd link in my signature):

Black (fin) Pacu / Tambaqui aka Cachama / Pacu / Red (bellied) Pacu / Boco / Pirapitinga / Ruelo.

Colossoma macropomum; kolos=truncated+soma=body

Characidae (Characins) > Serrasalminae

FishBase max 108 cm; common 70 cm; max 40 kg.
Fishing World Records 100-108 cm; 35-50 kg; 13 years.

F/w;benthopelagic; pH 5.0-7.8; dH ?-20

Tropical, 22-28°C

15°S-35°S

Amazon+Orinoco. Biology: Usual. solitary. Adults stay in flooded forests first 5 months, eat fruits+grains. Potamodromous. Young+juvies - flood plain black water til their matur. Zoopl., insec., snails+decay.plants. Aquaculture: widely spread because the fish can live in mineral poor water, very disease-resistant. Traumatogenic. Fisheries: minor commercial; aquaculture: commercial; Public Aquaria. Conservation status: Not Eval.

************************************************************************************************************

Pirapatinga / Cachama / Pacu / F/w pompano

Piaractus brachypomus; Piar=fat+aktos=carry.

Characidae> Serrasalminae

FishBase max 88 cm; max 25 kg; max 28 years.
Fishing World Records 85-95 cm; 15-25 kg; 28 years.

F/w; pelagic; pH 4.8-6.8, dH ?–15.

Tropical 23-28°C

23°N-11°S

Amaz.+Orin. Biol. Mat. 52+ cm. Juv. mimic piranha. Insecs+decaying plants. Powerful dentition can cause serious bites - traumatogen. Important food. Fisheries: minor commercial; aquaculture: commercial; aquaria: commercial. Status: Not Eval.

**********************************************************************************************************************

Pacu / Baya / Caranha / Mandua

Piaractus mesopotamicus

Characidae> Serrasalminae

FishBase max 40-50 cm; max 20 kg.
FWR 72-85 cm; 10-20 kg.

F/w; demeral; potamodromous

Subtropical 15°S-38°S, 66°E-42°E.

Paraguay-Paraná basin. Biology: Dark grey to silver dorsally+laterally+white ventrally with yellow breast. Invades flooded forests, eats fallen nuts+seeds. Harmless to humans. A/c: commercial. Status: Not Eval.

Reactions: Clothsack
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store