MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
I've had fishes with my turtle before
As say texas cichlid was good defending its own
I want another good fish to keep with my turtle
Yes he attacks fishes like at first when they are new to them
Till he figures is it food or new mate
Then will try to nip very rare
I can properly provide a lot of hiding spaces and cover i just want a appropriate fish for my turts
Please suggest something guys
Top fishes i think of are convicts and parrots
What are your suggestions?
Will these fish do good?

FuriousFish

Piranha
MFK Member
Jan 8, 2012
America
It is impossible to give a real suggestion without knowing the type of turtle, tank size, setup, etc.
That said, for small turtles I have had luck with a school of larger tetras/danios and for larger turtles giant danios. If the turtle gets one every once in a while it's not a big deal.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I can properly provide a lot of hiding spaces and cover i just want a appropriate fish for my turts
Will these fish do good?
Welcome aboard

E_polypterus

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2018
Will these fish do good?
lo
ive kept red eared sliders in a pond with a variety of fish for a long time.

aggressive fish like cichlids are good tankmates becuase they can defend themselves whenever the turtle would come over to get a bite at their fins. peaceful fish if larger or same sized fish could be kept too, they would get used to the turtles habits soon imo.

plecos, oscars, iridescent shark catfish, marble catfish, silver dollars (of same size) are a few good tank mates

Enthusiasper

Feeder Fish
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2022
It is impossible to give a real suggestion without knowing the type of turtle, tank size, setup, etc.
That said, for small turtles I have had luck with a school of larger tetras/danios and for larger turtles giant danios. If the turtle gets one every once in a while it's not a big deal.
The turtle is a red eared slider in a 70 gallon setup no other inhabitants

E_polypterus

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Dec 31, 2018
What do u guys think bout convicts and parrots?
i think its doable, as they are not timid species. the turtles might start to go for their fins at first but would stop later, and try less if there are more than 2-3 fish. though turtles are a bit less predictable than fish imo so they might keep on trying to pester them or might even not...
and dont forget to keep their stomachs' full too :)

also, as long as the fish are not smaller than the turtle, no big worry.

if the fish are smaller and they repetitively try to go for their fins you can try to make them stop physically by shoving it off with your hands when you see it close to the fish too, i tried it a few time with mine.

but the best option is bringing in larger or same sized fish and letting them grow together, that way they get used to each other, mine try to fight with the turtles when feeding lol.
so if you plan on bringing more fish, i think now would be the best time as introducing new fish later might mistake the turt into takin them as fish tail soup.

Reactions: Enthusiasper
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store