Best type of Hose for Water Change?

itrebebag99

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Mar 16, 2017
Illinois
To say that hauling five-gallon bucket after five-gallon bucket up and down stairs is a ENORMOUS pain in the butt is a MASSIVE understantement. So, to solve this I plan on running a hose from my kitchen sink to the basement. What would be the best hose for this task? Clear vinyl? Corregated plastic? Garden hose? Would any of these possibly taint the water.

PYRU

Probation Member
Probation Member
Apr 8, 2015
SE
Honestly reinforced clear vinyl. Nsf approved or food grade

I'd run pvc from your washer connections in the long run or do it now. I originally ordered 100ft of clear hose from ebay or Amazon

Reactions: tlindsey

squint

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Oct 14, 2007
CO
I use this. I've found the cheap stuff carried by big box stores to harden after awhile.

Silicone tubing may be the ultimate but I haven't tried it for this purpose yet. There's no plasticizer to leech. I'm not sure it can securely clamped to a barb fitting though.

deeda

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 26, 2008
Medina, Ohio
I use a Teknor Apex brand never kink RV Marine hose that is 5/8" x 50 foot long and have used it for over 10 years to fill my tanks.

You can make a J-hook out of PVC with a ball valve + a PVC to female garden hose adapter to control the water at the tank or just buy the Python J-hook.

Reactions: TexasMFK31

slipshodman

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Oct 26, 2016
Australia
I have read that normal garden hose can leach toxins into your water

You need make sure whatever hose you use is safe for water for human consumption then you will know its ok for your fish

Reactions: Dloks and Gill Blue
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store