Best way to clean canister filter

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
You might try experimenting with different sized sponge materials. If very fine pores, (like a majority of the sponges I see at LFS here), yes they'll clog up pretty fast, so I use simple DIY pre-filters made with medium or large size foam I got at Chatuchak: no flow problems yet canisters still stay clean (due mostly because I vaccuum out waste daily in my bare bottom tanks).

Very true this -- not to mention an improperly maintained bare bottom tank looks pretty nasty by most anyone's standards. Some think bare bottoms are for lazy peepe, quite the opposite they take as much or more work.
Did you use a fine sponge? You need to use medium to coarse density sponge. Anything really fine will clog, even floss inside your filter. The idea is to prevent majority of detritus to go in but not block the water flow in any way. I have pictures of my sponges if you are not sure what you need...

The alternative is your tank needs a really good siphon a bit more often or there's uneaten food that goes straight into the intakes before the fish get to it, or the intakes are too close to the substrate, etc... It could be also that the water flow is setup incorrectly keeping detritus suspended in the water column. Can you see floating particles? Do you have outlets that flow against each other rather than in the same direction?
I put mine quite close to substrate..

The sponge I would say is medium to coarse

I actually have 2 canister so they are at each end of the tank. It's a 6ft/1.8m tank

Don't see much floating particles

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
I put mine quite close to substrate..

The sponge I would say is medium to coarse

I actually have 2 canister so they are at each end of the tank. It's a 6ft/1.8m tank

Don't see much floating particles
I'd lift the intakes up.
Filter outlets should be positioned on the same side positioned parallel to each other flowing in the same direction.
2 days is a very short time for the pre-filters to clog. Have a look around your tank why it's happening so fast. Providing that your pre-filters get to that stage in such short period of time, guess the state of the filter media...
Also, make sure the integrity of the sponge is not damaged as that can also cause it to collapse and block the flow. And the sponge should be a good size.
There's a couple of pictures of mine.

Prefilter Sponge.jpgPondPrefilterSponge.jpg

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015
It is parallel but on each side of tank
Are the outlets pointing in the same direction or you have them against each other? Although it may not make much of a difference to your sponge getting clogged, the reason I am asking is because if they're pointed at each other, you're negating the flow of the filters. It is not circulating the filtered water around the tank properly, also not good for the fish. Flow out of multiple filters should not be crossing each other at any point. They should be enhancing each other. Think rivers for example. Marine flow is totally different.

Is the bottom of that sponge drilled as well? It looks a bit thin to me but I can't be sure if the type of sponge is the issue. My intakes are fully covered on all sides and below. Nothing goes through the sponges bar water and perhaps powder like particles majority of which are still stopped at the pre-filter stage.

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
Are the outlets pointing in the same direction or you have them against each other? Although it may not make much of a difference to your sponge getting clogged, the reason I am asking is because if they're pointed at each other, you're negating the flow of the filters. It is not circulating the filtered water around the tank properly, also not good for the fish. Flow out of multiple filters should not be crossing each other at any point. They should be enhancing each other. Think rivers for example. Marine flow is totally different.

Is the bottom of that sponge drilled as well? It looks a bit thin to me but I can't be sure if the type of sponge is the issue. My intakes are fully covered on all sides and below. Nothing goes through the sponges bar water and perhaps powder like particles majority of which are still stopped at the pre-filter stage.
Bottom of sponge is sealed.

Outlet is actually pointed against each other but I do have a wave maker to circulate water

Coryloach

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Apr 22, 2015

Cardeater

Polypterus
MFK Member
Apr 14, 2018
I guess this is sort of one topic:
How clean do you get your sponges?

I'll rinse my sponges in buckets of tank water, though I could get away with tap water as my chlorine levels are 0.5ppm and I have redundant filtration.

Anyway, the first rinse gets more of the gunk out and the water gets really murky.

Usually after two five gallon buckets ( I should explain that I take syphon and run the water over the sponge as I squeeze and it collects in the bucket) the main gunk is out.

I keep wondering how much more I should rinse. I could rinse 4-5 bucket fulls more and some stuff still comes out of the sponges.

It gets tedious rinsing that much and I wonder if I could just get the main gunk out and not tire and annoy myself with the additional rinsing.

Zanzag

Peacock Bass
MFK Member
Jan 1, 2019
Central PA
I usually only use one bucket per sponge/filter maybe about half full so i dont splash but i hold it under and vigorously shake. Doesnt get it 100% but it keeps it working well enough that i was able to ditch the poly fill in my 55's canister

TwoHedWlf

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Mar 2, 2017
New Zealand
I keep squeezing and swishing mine in the kitchen sink under a running tap until there's no brown muck coming off them anymore. Occasionally that ends up clogging the sink and I have to clear it...I should probably clean my filters more often.

islandguy11

Redtail Catfish
MFK Member
Sep 17, 2017
Thailand
I feel for you peeps with natural/decorated community tanks, it's one reason why I take the easy route and only have solo or super low stocked (bare bottom) tanks, so even my pre-filters barely have anything on them.

Anyway these cloth-type cooking strainers are a great way to take out pre-filters without mucking up your tank:

Reactions: Coryloach
zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store