Best Way to Move a Tank

dr exum

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 29, 2007
Northwest
Ya, gonna be stressful for you and the fish.. netting stuff that big is pain in arse.

your gonna need Rubbermaid’s for the fish. Too big for buckets.

I moved my 75’s and 120 by self with furniture dollys...

gonna take a few hours... remove water, fish, substrate, move tank ...

if your gonna put a 400 there gonna have to move it anyway...

good-luck!

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I would personally set up a kiddie pool. I wouldn’t risk putting an arrow in a tote or smaller aquarium. Kiddie pools are cheap and you could put a net over it to keep it from jumping out.
I hate moving fish, always so scary when they are bigger. Best of luck with them!

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
Ya, gonna be stressful for you and the fish.. netting stuff that big is pain in arse.

your gonna need Rubbermaid’s for the fish. Too big for buckets.

I moved my 75’s and 120 by self with furniture dollys...

gonna take a few hours... remove water, fish, substrate, move tank ...

if your gonna put a 400 there gonna have to move it anyway...

good-luck!
So the 400 is going on a different wall so was hoping to keep as close to in place as possible and move over. But have to get the floors in now because this would be virtually impossible once the 400 is in.

Reactions: dr exum

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
I would personally set up a kiddie pool. I wouldn’t risk putting an arrow in a tote or smaller aquarium. Kiddie pools are cheap and you could put a net over it to keep it from jumping out.
I hate moving fish, always so scary when they are bigger. Best of luck with them!
I don’t mind this idea. Couple of questions though. You think temp wise the kiddie pool is ok in my garage? Worried about heat out there in FL..

Also thoughts on resetting the 90 when the floors are done before the 400 arrives? Going to be another month before it’s here and then a few weeks to cycle. Thinking that’s too long for a kiddie pool in the garage

Jexnell

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Jul 17, 2017
PNW
I would just put everything in the 90 into the kiddie pool. Hang the HOBs over the side. Most have flat bottoms so you can stack up 2x4s bricks what ever to support the weight. Then move it all to the 400 when it's ready.

BB lives on all things in the tank, so moving the substrate over will help prevent a possible mine cycle due to loss of a good portion of the colony.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I
agree with this. Trying to move the tank with even 10 % water will probably destroy it, and kill the fish in the process..

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
I don’t mind this idea. Couple of questions though. You think temp wise the kiddie pool is ok in my garage? Worried about heat out there in FL..

Also thoughts on resetting the 90 when the floors are done before the 400 arrives? Going to be another month before it’s here and then a few weeks to cycle. Thinking that’s too long for a kiddie pool in the garage
The pool will be fine in the garage temp wise. If you notice it starting to get too warm despite cooler water changes, you can freeze water jugs and float them in the water to cool it down.
I would honestly just keep them in the pool for a couple months till the 400 comes so you aren’t moving them so much. Plus a pool will be great from them space wise.

Reactions: gatormfk

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
Really appreciate all the insight. Sounds like a kiddie pool it is. Though my wife probably won’t be thrilled at losing her parking space for the next 6 weeks ?

Any suggestions on one? For some reason all I’m picturing are the cheap little plastic ring ones at Walmart that wouldn’t be big enough. I know there is something I’m missing. Thanks!

I would just put everything in the 90 into the kiddie pool. Hang the HOBs over the side. Most have flat bottoms so you can stack up 2x4s bricks what ever to support the weight. Then move it all to the 400 when it's ready.

BB lives on all things in the tank, so moving the substrate over will help prevent a possible mine cycle due to loss of a good portion of the colony.
I

agree with this. Trying to move the tank with even 10 % water will probably destroy it, and kill the fish in the process..
The pool will be fine in the garage temp wise. If you notice it starting to get too warm despite cooler water changes, you can freeze water jugs and float them in the water to cool it down.
I would honestly just keep them in the pool for a couple months till the 400 comes so you aren’t moving them so much. Plus a pool will be great from them space wise.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store