Best Way to Move a Tank

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
I have used the inexpensive Index pools for large fish, or you could also use one of the Rubbermid stock tanks ( I would suggest the 300 gallon for your arowana) and because its a jumper, using some kind of cover netting wouldn't be a bad idea).
Below is the Intex @ 400 gal type, I used it to overwinter pond fish

More durable, are the Rubbermaid stock tanks, available at some Home improvement centers like Home Depot

As you can see, I sunk mine into the ground, like a real pond, and it is tough enough to take freezing and thawing.
the Index would fall apart.

I've also tried the Bestway brand, cheaper, less reliable.

Below is their almost 1,000 gallon unit

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017
Or something like this. I believe it’s just over 150g. 3334ACDD-C0F8-485B-8B0F-FF5B332B5E3E.jpeg
There are many options out there. I’d just pick whichever one fits the budget you want to pay and fits in the area available.

MrsE88

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Mar 9, 2017

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
So I ended up buying the 300 Rubbermaid stock tank since my tractor supply next door had one, and I think I’m going to take the advice and keep them in there until my new tank gets here.

Planning to use existing tank water and move the substrate and driftwood in for BB.

Question on filtration and aeration? Don’t think my big HOBs will work with the thickness of the walls. Any ideas?
I have used the inexpensive Index pools for large fish, or you could also use one of the Rubbermid stock tanks ( I would suggest the 300 gallon for your arowana) and because its a jumper, using some kind of cover netting wouldn't be a bad idea).
Below is the Intex @ 400 gal type, I used it to overwinter pond fish

More durable, are the Rubbermaid stock tanks, available at some Home improvement centers like Home Depot

As you can see, I sunk mine into the ground, like a real pond, and it is tough enough to take freezing and thawing.
the Index would fall apart.

I've also tried the Bestway brand, cheaper, less reliable.

Below is their almost 1,000 gallon unit
Or something like this. I believe it’s just over 150g. View attachment 1412654
There are many options out there. I’d just pick whichever one fits the budget you want to pay and fits in the area available.
Haha, you beat me to it.

TheWolfman

Goliath Tigerfish
MFK Member
Sep 5, 2010
Long island, NY
I would recommend using some corrugated roofing with bricks on it for lids. For filtration you could pickup a return pump for your new 400 and use it now on a overhead sump made from a Rubbermaid tote.

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
Ok, so I have a stupid question. If I’m going to keep the fish in the garage any way. Is there any reason (other than potential damage to my wood stand) that I couldn’t just put the fish in smaller totes for an hour or two and then just put my tank back together in the garage and put the fish back in?

Thinking this might be the safest since I’m not going to have much time (handful of days) to cycle this Rubbermaid?

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
Or something like this. I believe it’s just over 150g. View attachment 1412654
Haha, you beat me to it.
On some of my Rubbermaids, I just cut off a piece of the rim to fit whatever I needed.

The actual walls are not that thick.
I would recommend using some corrugated roofing with bricks on it for lids. For filtration you could pickup a return pump for your new 400 and use it now on a overhead sump made from a Rubbermaid tote.

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
I think I’m going to end up doing this. Thinking safest thing to do considering I need to make the move on Monday. That and the stock tank I bought has a decent sized leak so I’m going to have to return anyways.
Ok, so I have a stupid question. If I’m going to keep the fish in the garage any way. Is there any reason (other than potential damage to my wood stand) that I couldn’t just put the fish in smaller totes for an hour or two and then just put my tank back together in the garage and put the fish back in?

Thinking this might be the safest since I’m not going to have much time (handful of days) to cycle this Rubbermaid?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store