Best way to move Arowana to New Tank

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
I am finally ready to move my big (22-24”) Silver Arowana into the 400 gallon tank, but am worried about the move for a couple of reasons.

He is a major jumper and freaks out at the slightest stress such as moving other fish, etc. Due to this I was planning to simply net him and quickly walk to place him in the new tank (out of water around 30 seconds).

The new tank has a slightly higher PH than his current tank (due to it being overcrowded) so I have been and planning to drip acclimate the other tank mates being moved. My concern is with the Aro being so skiddish, that a drip acclimation could lead to some major stress and damage from jumping.

Any ideas or thoughts on a straight move from current to new tank?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I am finally ready to move my big (22-24”) Silver Arowana into the 400 gallon tank, but am worried about the move for a couple of reasons.

He is a major jumper and freaks out at the slightest stress such as moving other fish, etc. Due to this I was planning to simply net him and quickly walk to place him in the new tank (out of water around 30 seconds).

The new tank has a slightly higher PH than his current tank (due to it being overcrowded) so I have been and planning to drip acclimate the other tank mates being moved. My concern is with the Aro being so skiddish, that a drip acclimation could lead to some major stress and damage from jumping.

Any ideas or thoughts on a straight move from current to new tank?
Only thing I could think of is slowly mixing water from both aquariums prior to moving the Silver Arowana. Maybe other members will chime in with a better idea. I would feel bad if anything happened to the Arowana.

jjohnwm

Sausage Finger Spam Slayer
MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Only thing I could think of is slowly mixing water from both aquariums prior to moving the Silver Arowana. Maybe other members will chime in with a better idea. I would feel bad if anything happened to the Arowana.
This ^, definitely. Just do a partial water change each day for several days before the move, replacing the water removed from the Aro's tank with water taken from the new tank. After a few days you will have achieved an identical or very similar pH and should have no difficulties.

I've found that the ideal net for use on large fish like this is one of the rubberized landing nets sold for fishermen. They are specifically designed to minimize damage to the fish, and are far gentler on skin, scales and fins than the older nets made of knotted cord or fabric. You may have to hunt around to find one with a small enough mesh size, but the effort will be worth it.

No matter how you slice it, this will be a bit of a gong show. Hopefully the transfer time will be much less than your estimated 30 seconds; carrying a panicked, thrashing large Aro in a net for a half minute would feel like an eternity.

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
Yeah, I’ve got the rubber net and everything ready. We moved one of my bichirs today, which is what made it evident that trying to drip the Aro wasn’t going to work. I think I’ll do that and do daily’s to bring the PH up. Going to have to make a change to the plans and make the Aro the next move (he was going to be last).
This ^, definitely. Just do a partial water change each day for several days before the move, replacing the water removed from the Aro's tank with water taken from the new tank. After a few days you will have achieved an identical or very similar pH and should have no difficulties.

I've found that the ideal net for use on large fish like this is one of the rubberized landing nets sold for fishermen. They are specifically designed to minimize damage to the fish, and are far gentler on skin, scales and fins than the older nets made of knotted cord or fabric. You may have to hunt around to find one with a small enough mesh size, but the effort will be worth it.

No matter how you slice it, this will be a bit of a gong show. Hopefully the transfer time will be much less than your estimated 30 seconds; carrying a panicked, thrashing large Aro in a net for a half minute would feel like an eternity.

Reactions: tlindsey

Galantspeedz

Potamotrygon
MFK Member
Feb 28, 2017
i would use a pillow or bloster case as they are softer and when lifting up from the tank, it will be lighter as water will flow out from the case

Reactions: gatormfk

Michael Alebrtus

Plecostomus
MFK Member
Apr 16, 2020
easier to explain using video:

following this video could prevent your arowana from revolting inside the fish bag, which could result in broken scales, fins, and barbels.

Reactions: gatormfk

gatormfk

Exodon
MFK Member
Oct 6, 2019
Trinity, FL
Thank you for sharing. While I don’t speak the language it appears you basically make the fish dizzy and then they swim into the bag ??. In all seriousness, unfortunately, I don’t believe this will work in my situation. Being a silver Arowana who is extremely prone to jumping that much handling is highly likely to end in even more stress. He likes to come say hi and be petted but as soon something out of the ordinary happens, he jumps right into the glass lids.
easier to explain using video:

following this video could prevent your arowana from revolting inside the fish bag, which could result in broken scales, fins, and barbels.

Reactions: jjohnwm

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
Interesting and cool video. I especially like the second guy, who momentarily gets lost after going into the second floor of the fish room...:) These people, and their fish, live on a whole other plane of existence...

I'm curious why they don't at least cover the bag with a towel or something to darken it and reduce stress. Carrying a large, innately nervous and now-spooked Arowana around in a clear bag, through those blindingly brightly-lit rooms, just seems counter-intuitive...but they obviously know their stuff, so who can say? However, doing this trick with a 2-foot Arowana like the OP's would involve some heavy lifting of a huge bag of water.

G gatormfk , I'm just thinking out loud here...a handy thing to have when dealing with jumpers, large or small, is a small seine net, usually available in fishing tackle stores. Just something big enough to stretch across the whole tank, or even lay on the surface of the water, to control jumps temporarily while involved in an operation such as this. I got one thinking that it would be used to actually catch the fish; that didn't really work out too well, but the net was worth having as a safety/security measure.

jjohnwm

MFK Member
Mar 29, 2019
Manitoba, Canada
The only calming/relaxing agent required is vodka. One or two stiff shots, administered to all human participants immediately before commencement of the operation, will ensure a smooth and stress-free transition.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store