best way to sex Haiti?

Aquatik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto
Growing out 3 Haitian there still small 2 inch any way to sex them or at least an idea what to look for? Two of the three are in a tank divided one on the left was double the size but The one on the right has pretty much caught up to it, I do notice black streaks on the dorsal on the two divided butnot on the one by him self. They are all a silvery color my question is will males at that size have black streaks in dorsal?

Get some pix later. Thanks for help.

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
There are too many variables to determine sex at 2". A young dominant female will often mimic male coloration, a sub dominant male, will often mimic a female.
But at 3 or 4" it will be easier.
Males have a mask, but the rest of the body will only be spotted and mostly without dark blotches, as the upper fish below.

the female will have dark color in the dorsal and often be black, and the lower fish above.
But even as an adult, a dominant female dorsal can fade without a male around, as the female below when I separated them.

Best to wait until you can be sure

The rewards can be many

isde02

Arapaima
MFK Member
Jan 4, 2011
Ohio
Duanes, none of my males have had that dark mask, is there any other way to determine?

duanes

MFK Moderators
Staff member
MFK Member
Jun 7, 2007
Isla Taboga Panama via Milwaukee
The mask may be a location variant (although it darkened with maturity in mine), so I believe the dorsal lack of color for males, and dark for females, it is what I used.
Note how light the anterior of the male dorsal is.

Below is what I believe was a female at 4", note the dark color in the anterior of the dorsal

below was my female, at 5"

Gomer

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Oct 25, 2006
Brampton, Ont. Canada
Aquatik...Nice to see more people keeping Odo's in the GTA. I have a breeding pair myself. Give your little ones some more time and you'll be able
to sex them quite easily.

trace

Bronze Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 9, 2009
Hamer Idaho
This seems like a very rewarding species to keep. Lots of personality and some are gorgeous. Love the fins but fish with personality is my number one criteria. I definitely will keep these guys one day. Love duanes pair!

Sent from my iPhone using MonsterAquariaNetwork app

Aquatik

Jack Dempsey
MFK Member
Dec 17, 2011
Toronto
Yes patients is key , got to find more of that Lol. Very happy when I received these from Gage, considering all the little extras I'm doing for them makes the m that much more rewarding to end up with a big healthy Male.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store