Betta Breeding idea

TheFishNerd

Exodon
MFK Member
Feb 19, 2020
I had a crazy idea. It might not be the best idea but bear with me. I have an old 55 gallon sitting on our front lawn. It is there because I don't trust it to not break in the house. No matter how hard I try every attempt to culture live food has failed miserably. My brine shrimp never hatched and my micro worms keep molding. I thought that maybe I could make my 55-gallon tank into a mini pond to raise my betta fry. If it breaks outside that is no problem. I would let live plants take over the tank so there would be a huge food source. Breed several sets of parents inside at the same time then as soon as the betta fry are free-swimming I can scoop them out and put them in the mini pond I made. Wait a couple of months, come back and collect the betta fry and jar them. I don't want huge amounts of fry so having a smaller survival rate is no problem. It would allow me to skip the constant feedings and give them more room to grow. Would this be a practical idea? I probably wouldn't get around to it but just wanted to share and get some advice on the reality of executing my crazy ideas. I live up north so I also wonder if the night and day temperature shifts would affect the water temperature too much.

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store