betta fish near filter?

Suzisuzisuzi

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2019
I recently rehomed my betta fish from a 1 gal bowl to a 3.5 gal filtered tank as part of treatment for fin rot. He's doing great and I noticed a behavior that seemed odd to me. The betta seems to frequently hang out right by the intake tube thing for the filter. The filter isn't super strong, it doesn't seem to be hurting his fins, he has no issues with the current that I can see around feeding time, he just seems to like to hang out there. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

Reactions: tlindsey

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
I recently rehomed my betta fish from a 1 gal bowl to a 3.5 gal filtered tank as part of treatment for fin rot. He's doing great and I noticed a behavior that seemed odd to me. The betta seems to frequently hang out right by the intake tube thing for the filter. The filter isn't super strong, it doesn't seem to be hurting his fins, he has no issues with the current that I can see around feeding time, he just seems to like to hang out there. Is this normal or should I be concerned?

How strong is the current in the aquarium?

Reactions: kno4te

kno4te

MFK Moderator
Staff member
Global Moderator
MFK Member
Dec 24, 2005
USA
Is it eating ok? Can it break away from the suction?

Suzisuzisuzi

Black Skirt Tetra
MFK Member
Jun 19, 2019
The current is not noticeably strong and he has no trouble catching food in the flow at the surface or swimming away from the filter. He's back to having a great appetite and I make a game of him following my hand around the tank to where I drop each pellet, which he then instantly dives at and scarfs.

The first few days in the tank he was casually meandering all over, seeming to really enjoy more space to swim. There's a tree shaped decor item with lots of branches and roots to hide in, but lately he's hiding by the filter, literally with fins and tail over the intake. I'm worried it could hurt his healing fins but he doesn't seem distressed.

tlindsey

Silver Tier VIP
MFK Member
Aug 6, 2011
Ohio
The current is not noticeably strong and he has no trouble catching food in the flow at the surface or swimming away from the filter. He's back to having a great appetite and I make a game of him following my hand around the tank to where I drop each pellet, which he then instantly dives at and scarfs.

The first few days in the tank he was casually meandering all over, seeming to really enjoy more space to swim. There's a tree shaped decor item with lots of branches and roots to hide in, but lately he's hiding by the filter, literally with fins and tail over the intake. I'm worried it could hurt his healing fins but he doesn't seem distressed.

Sounds like he is fine.

flukeone

Blue Tier VIP
MFK Member
Sep 16, 2019
Mauritius
My betta has the same behavior. He's got a large 15gallons tank with rocky decor and natural plants. He swims all over the place and occasionally hides in the plants but almost always goes back behind my filter. I guess it's like a dark cave or something ?

zoomed.com
hikariusa.com
aqaimports.com
Store